Ph.D., University of Colorado at Boulder
phone: (617) 358-4406
office: 110 Cummington Mall, ENG 219
Mechanical behavior of soft biological tissue * Cardiovascular mechanics * Multi-scale modeling of biological composites * Micro- and nano- mechanics of thin film devices
Professor Zhang’s research focuses on understanding the mechanical behavior of soft biological tissues and composites at multi-scale using both experimental techniques and advanced computational modeling. Her research integrates the knowledge in biology, nonlinear solid mechanics, and finite element modeling, especially of complex materials and constitutive behavior. Professor Zhang believes that the interplay between fundamental analysis and clinical application will provide the greatest gains. Through her research, she hopes to provide insights on understanding the relationship between microscopic biological processes and changes in macroscopic tissue mechanics due to diseases, and help the development of diagnostic, therapeutic, and pharmaceutical techniques. Her research interest also lies in the mechanical characterization and multi-scale modeling of micro- and nano-electromechanical systems.
Professor Zhang’s current research projects are in the characterization of the biomechanical behavior of native and engineered blood vessels using an integrative approach of mechanical testing combined with multi-scale modeling, understanding of the inelastic deformation mechanisms in micro- and nano-electromechanical systems and relations of these behaviors to design, analysis, and device performance.
- Chow, M-J, Turcotte R., Lin, C.P., and Zhang, Y., 2014, “Arterial extracellular matrix: a mechanobiological study of the contributions and interactions of elastin and collagen,” Biophysical Journal, June 17, in press.
- Chow, M-J, Choi, M., Yun, S-K, and Zhang, Y., 2013, The effect of static stretch on elastin degradation in arteries, PLoS ONE, Vol. 8, e81951, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0081951.
- Li, J., Liu, Y., Zhang, Y., Cai, H., and Xiong R., 2013, Molecular ferroelectrics: whereelectronics meet biology, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, DOI: 10.1039/c3cp52501e.
- Liu, Y., Wang, Y., Chow, M-J, Chen, Q. N., Zhang, Y., and Li, J., 2013, Glucose suppressesbiological ferroelectricity in aortic elastin, Physical Review Letters, Vol 110, 168101.
- Zeinali Davarani, S., Chow, M-J, Turcotte, R., and Zhang, Y., 2013, Characterization of biaxial mechanical behavior of porcine aorta under gradual elastin degradation, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 41, 1528-1538.
- Chow, M-J, Mondonedo, J.R., and Zhang, Y., 2013, Progressive structural and biomechanical changes in elastin degraded aorta, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, Vol. 12, 361-372.
- Xu, B., Li, H., and Zhang, Y., 2013, An experimental and modeling study of the viscoelastic behavior of collagen gel, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 135, 054501.
- Zou, Y. and Zhang, Y., 2012, The biomechanical function of arterial elastin in solutes, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 134, 071002.
- Liu, Y., Zhang, Y., Chow, M-J, Chen, Q. N., and Li, J., 2012, Biological ferroelectricity uncovered in aortic walls by piezoresponse force microscopy, Physical Review Letters, Vol 108, 078103.
- Chow, M-J, Zou, Y., He, H., McGowan F.X. Jr., and Zhang, Y., 2011, Obstruction-induced pulmonary vascular remodeling, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol 133, 111009.
- Xu, B., Chow, M-J, and Zhang, Y., 2011, Experimental and modeling study of collagen scaffolds with the effects of crosslinking and fiber alignment, International Journal of Biomaterials, doi: 1155/2011/172389.
- Zou, Y. and Zhang, Y., 2011, Mechanical evaluation of decellularized porcine thoracic aorta, Journal of Surgical Research, Vol. 175, pp. 359-368, doi:10.1016/j.jss.2011.03.070
- Lin, I-K, Zhang X., and Zhang Y., 2011, Inelastic deformation of bilayer microcantilevers with nanoscale coating, Sensors & Actuators, Vol. 168, pp. 1-9.
- Zou, Y. and Zhang, Y., 2010, The orthotropic viscoelastic behavior or aortic elastin, Biomechanics and modeling in mechanobiology, Vol. 10, pp. 613-625.
- Zou, Y. and Zhang, Y., 2009, An experimental and theoretical study on the anisotropy of elastin network. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 37, pp. 1572-1583.