Ph.D., Moscow University
phone: (617) 353-9953
office: 730 Commonwealth Avenue, ENA 219
Turbulence theory * Modeling and large-scale engineering simulations * Industrial CFD * Heat transfer * Mixing and combution * Lattice Boltzmann methods for flow computations * Non-Newtonian fluids * Nanotechnology and nanofluidics * Biosensing
Professor Yakhot has published more than 150 papers in chemical physics, dynamic critical phenomena, combustion theory and numerical simulations, theory and modeling of turbulence, and stochastic differential equations. Among his main results: correlation between crystal packing and optical properties of organic crystals (1970s); derivation of turbulence models using the renormalization group approach (1980s); derivation of a relation for the flame speed in turbulent flows and effective equation for simulation of combustion process (1988-1990); theory of probability density functions and anomalous scaling in turbulence (1990s); numerical simulations and theory of stochastic Burgers equation (1990s); and a novel hydro-kinetic approach to aero-acoustics simulations (2001-2003).
At the present time, one of the main directions of Professor Yakhot’s research is the application of a hybrid (molecular-hydrodynamic) approach to flows of strongly non-linear fluids relevant for mechanical engineering, polymers and bio-fluid dynamics. Professor Yakhot is also a Fellow of the American Physical Society.
- V.Yakhot, S.C.C. Bailey and A.J.Smits, “Scaling of global properties of turbulence and skin friction in pipe and channel ows”. J.Fluid Mech. 652, 65 (2010).
- K. Ekinci, V. Yakhot, S. Rajauria, C. Colosqui and D. Karabakak, “High-frequency nanoidics: a universal formulation of the uid dynamics of MEMS and NEMS”, Lab on a Chip, (2010).
- V. Yakhot, “Skin friction in zero-pressure gradient boundary layers”, Phys.Rev.E82,n045301(R) (2010).
- C.Lissandrello, V. Yakhot and K.Ekinci, “Crossover from hydrodynamic to the kinetic regimein conned ows”, Phys.Rev.Lett. bf 108 084501 (2012).
- S. Rajauria, O.Ozun, J. Lawal, V. Yakhot and K. Ekinci, “Porous superhydrophobic membranes: hydrodynamic anomaly in oscillating ows”, Phys.Rev.Lett. 107, 17451 (2011).
- H. Basagaoglu, S. Melchionna, S. Succi and V. Yakhot, “Fluctuation-dissipation relations fromFLB-BGK model”, EPL, 99, 64001 (2012).
- C.Bartlett, H. Chen, I. Staroselsky, J. Wanderer and V. Yakhot, “LB-BGK two-equation model for turbulence simulations: High Reynolds number ow past circular cylinder”, Iny.Journ.of Heat and Flow, 42, 1-9 (2013).
- J. Manus, S. Grace, D. Sondak and V. Yakhot, “Characteristics of turbulence in a turbofan stage”, J. of Turbomachnary, (135, 021024, (2012)
- H.Chen, I. Staroselsky, V.Yakhot. “On non-perturbative formulation of hydrodynamics using kinetic theory”. Physica Scripta, T155, 014040 (2013).