Matthias Schneider, Ph.D.
Biological physics: thermodynamics of interfaces; physics of nerves and senses; cell adaptation. Nanotechnology for life science: Surface acoustic waves; microfluidics; blood clotting
The research of Matthias Schneider’s group is motivated by a physical understanding of biological processes. Physical concepts (thermodynamics) as well as new nanotechnologies (surface acoustic waves) are used to unravel the fundamental principles of nerve communication and blood clotting. The goal is to untangle the complexity of biological processes and find a unified explanation or law of seemingly independent phenomena in nature, to finally see the forest and not the trees.
- C.E. Sing, L. Schmid, M.F. Schneider, T. Franke and A. Alexander-Katz, “Controlled surface-induced flows from the motion of self-assembled colloidal walkers,” PNAS 107, pp. 535-40, 2010.
- J. Griesbauer, A. Wixforth, M.F. Schneider, “Sound propagation in lipid monolayers,” Biophys J, 97, p. 2710, 2009.
- B. Wunderlich, C.T. Leirer, T. Heimburg, A. Wixforth, U. Keyser U., L. Idzko, MF Schneider, “Phase state dependent current fluctuations in pure lipid membranes,“ Biophys J 96, p. 4592 , 2009.
- C. Fillafer, G. Ratzinger, J. Neumann, Z. Guttenberg, S. Dissauer, I. K. Lichtscheidl, M. Wirth, F. Gabor, M. F. Schneider, “An acoustically-driven biochip – Impact of flow on the cell-association of targeted drug carriers,” Lab Chip, 9 (19), 2009.
- M.Hennig, J.Neumann, A.Wixforth, J.O. Rädler and M.F. Schneider, “Dynamic patterns in a supported lipid bilayer driven by surface acoustic waves,”Lab Chip, DOI:10.1039/B907157A, 2009.
- C.L. Leirer, B. Wunderlich, V.M. Myles, M.F. Schneider,”Phase Transition induced Fission in lipid vesicles,” BiophysChem, 143, p. 106, 2009.
- S. W. Schneider, S. Nuschele, A. Wixforth, C. Gorzelannzy, A. Alexander-Katz, R. R. Netz, M. F. Schneider,”Shear-induced unfolding triggers adhesion of von Willebrand factor fibers,” PNAS, 104 (19):7899, 2007.
- A. Alexander-Katz, M.F. Schneider, S.W. Schneider, A. Wixforth A., and R.R. Netz,”Shear-flow induced unfolding of polymeric globules,” Physical Review Letters, 97:138101, 2006.
- M.F. Schneider, D. Andelman, and M. Tanaka,”Electrostatically Driven Stripe Phase Formation of Fluorinated Lipid Monolayers at the Air/Water Interface,” J. Chem Phys, 122, 094717, 2005
- M.F. Schneider, D. Marsh, W. Jahn, B. Kloesgen, and T. Heimburg,” Network Formation of Lipid Membranes: Triggering Structural Transitions by Chain Melting,” PNAS USA, 9,6 (25) 14312-7, 1999