Vinod K. Sarin, ScD
ScD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
phone: (617) 353-6451
office: 730 Commonwealth Avenue, ENA 208
Materials science * Physical and chemical vapor deposition of structural coatings * Surface modification * Consolidation of cermanics * Transparent ceramics * Composites
Research interests are concentrated on process/structure/property correlations and the development of high-tech materials/coatings for energy, photonic, and structural applications. Current R&D activities are geared toward the development of surface modification techniques and processes, characterization of thin film properties, tribology, ceramic composites, and transparent optical ceramics (TOC) for scintillators.
Professor Sarin has established and developed several material research laboratories for education, training and research. These include a state-of-the-art Surface Modification Laboratory with research activities focused in the areas of high temperature, and tribological CVD, PVD, and diamond coatings. Emphasis on structure-property correlations of thin films has resulted in the development of innovative methodologies and new equipment. Development of consolidation techniques of composite ceramics and TOC’s has lead to several unique patented processes and materials.
He has published over a hundred technical papers, has been the principal editor of more than ten books, and holds more than eighty patents. Severed as visiting professor at several International Universities, and been a consultant to several multinational organizations.
- HZ Wang, T Kulkarni, VK Sarin, and SN Basu, “Ordered and twinned multidomain structure in highly Al-rich mullite,” Journal of Materials Research, 22(11), pp. 3210-3217, 2008.
- SG Topping and VK Sarin, “CVD Lu203:Eu coatings for advanced scintillators,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2008.
- “Inspection of Ceramic Coatings using Nanoindentation and frequency Domain Photoacoustic Microscopy,” J. Korean Soc. For Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 26, No. 6, 2006.
- “Advance Environmental Barrier Coatings (EBCs),” Proceedings SICMAC Summer School, Minorca, 2006.
- “Inspection of Compositionally Graded Mullite Coatings Using Laser Based Ultrasonics,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 23, pp. 322-329, 2005.
- “Development of moderate temperature CVD Al2O3 coatings,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 23, pp. 322-329, 2005.
- “Advanced high temperature coatings in power generation gas turbines,” proceedings of the 8th Operating Pressure Equipment Conference, Institute of Materials Engineering Australasia Ltd., pp. 10-16, 2005.
- “Mullite Coatings,” chapter in book titled ‘Mullite and Mullite Ceramics,” S. Komarneni and H. Schneider, editors, John Wiley and Sons, NY, 2004.
- “Functionally graded CVD Mullite Environmental Barrier Coatings,” Proceedings of the 28th International Cocoa Beach Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, Orlando, FL, January 25-30, 2004.
- “Loading Mode Effects on the Fracture Toughness and Fatigue Crack Growth Resistance of Cemented Carbides,” Proceedings of PM2TEC, Chicago, 2003.