August 13, 2014
James R. Perkins, Ph.D.
Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Real-time scheduling and control of manufacturing systems * Supply chain management * Resource pricing and congestion control in communications networks * Scheduling human resources in transportation systems and in product development
As a member of the Boston University Operations Research and Manufacturing Systems group, Professor Perkins carries out research in the field of systems engineering with emphases on control, decision analysis, and scheduling theory. Current projects that Professor Perkins is working on include: synchronization and scheduling of manufacturing systems, data mining and clustering in genetic networks, and analytical solutions of controlled queueing networks. Professor Perkins’ manufacturing-related research is performed in the Production Control of Manufacturing Systems (PCMS) Laboratory at Boston University.
Professor Perkins is an affiliated faculty with the Center for Information and Systems Engineering (CISE) and a faculty member of the Division of Systems Engineering. He is a member of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and serves on the editorial board of the International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IJISE).
- X. Wu, R. Srikant, and J.R. Perkins, “Scheduling efficiency of distributed greedy scheduling algorithms in the wireless networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 595-605, June 2007.
- M. Wang and J.R. Perkins, “Using interval alignment policies for efficient production control of supply chain systems,” International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, vol. 1, no. ½, pp. 87-108, 2006.
- A. Eryilmaz, R. Srikant, and J.R. Perkins, “Stable scheduling policies for fading wireless channels,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 13, iss. 2, pp. 411-424, April 2005.
- K. Kogan, C. Shu, and J.R. Perkins, “Optimal finite-horizon production control in a defect-prone environment,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. AC-49, no. 10, pp. 1795-1800, October 2004.
- J.R. Perkins, “Optimal control of failure-prone manufacturing systems with constant repair times,” Annals of Operations Research, vol. 125, iss. 1-4, pp. 233-261, January 2004.
- K. Kogan and J.R. Perkins, “Infinite horizon production planning with periodic demand: Solvable cases and a general numerical approach,” IIE Transactions, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 61-71, January 2003.
- Y. Wang, J.R. Perkins, and A Khurana, “Optimal resource allocation in new product development projects: A control-theoretic approach,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. AC-47, no. 8, pp. 1267-1276, August 2002.
- K. Kogan, Y.-Y. Leu, and J.R. Perkins, “Parallel-machine, multiple-product-type, continuous time scheduling: Decomposable cases,” IIE Transactions focused issue on Design & Manifacturing, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 11-22, January 2002.