Associate Chair (ME Undergrad Program)
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
phone: (617) 353-5925
office: 110 Cummington Mall, ENG 420
Structural dynamics * Random vibration * Wave propagation * Inverse problems
Professor Nagem is developing a computational model for wave propagation in coupled fluid-elastic systems that he applies to large-scale problems in the ocean environment while a visiting scientist at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center. He also specializes in the theory and applications of wave scattering with emphasis on methods for detecting submerged and buried objects. Such algorithms are used in sonar systems, optical and electron microscopy, spectroscopy, radiography, and ultrasonics. Other areas of study include molecular dynamics and structural dynamics pertaining to flexibe structures suitable for space habitation.
- S. G. Llewellyn Smith and R. J. Nagem, “Vortex Pairs and Dipoles,” Regular and Chaotic Dynamics, Vol. 18, No. 1–2, 2013, pp. 194–201.
A.M.J. David and R.J. Nagem, “Curle’s Equation and Acoustic Scattering by a Sphere,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 119, No. 4, pp. 2018-2026, 2006.
- A.M.J. David and R.J. Nagem, “Effect of Viscosity on Acoustic Diffraction by a Circular Disk,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 115, No. 6, pp. 2738-2748, 2004.
- A.M.J. David and R.J. Nagem, “Influence of Viscosity on the Diffraction of Sound by a Circular Aperture in a Plane Screen,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 113, No. 6, pp. 3080-3090, 2003.
- R.J. Nagem and D. Lee, “Coupled 3D Wave Equations with Irregular Fluid-Interface: Theoretical Development,” sJournal of Computational Acoustics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 421-444, 2002.
- A.M.J. Davis and R.J. Nagem, “Acoustic Diffraction by a Half Plane in a Viscous Acoustic Medium,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 112, No. 4, pp. 1288-1296, 2002.
- R.J. Nagem, J.M. Seng and J.H. Williams, Jr., “Residual Life Predictions of Composite Aircraft Structures via Nondestructive Testing, Part 1: Prediction Methodology and Nondestructive Testing,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 58, No. 9, pp. 1065-1074, 2000.