Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
phone: (617) 353-2791
office: 110 Cummington Mall, ENG 221
Mechanical behavior of biological materials * Mechanical stimulation of tissue differentiation * Micromechanics of multiscale media * Damage mechanics
Professor Elise Morgan’s research focuses on the interplay between the mechanical behavior, structure, and biological function of tissues. She uses methods from engineering mechanics, materials science, and cell and molecular biology to investigate how mechanical “signals” (forces and displacements) contribute to the development, adaptation, degeneration, and regeneration of bone and cartilage. This work involves experimentation, computational modeling, and theoretical analysis. Through her research, Professor Morgan hopes to gain insight into causes and potential treatments for diseases or conditions such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and impaired bone healing.
Professor Morgan’s current research projects are in the use of mechanical stimulation to promote cartilage formation, the biomechanics of spine fractures and bone fracture healing, structure-function relationships in ischemic bone, and non-invasive diagnostics of bone fracture healing. She is the recipient of several reserach and teaching awards, including the 2006 Young Investigator Award from the International Osteoporosis Foundation.
- Hasturk, H, Kantarci, A, Ghattas, M, Dangaria, SJ, Abdallah, R, Morgan, EF, Diekwisch, TG, Ashman, A, VanDyke, T. “The use of light/chemically-hardened poly-methylmethacyrlate, polyhydroxyl-ethyl-methacrylate and calcium hydroxide graft material in combination with polyanhydride around implants and extraction sockets in minipigs: part II: histological and μCT evalulations”. J Periodontology, 2014; Feb 6 [Epub ahead of print]
- Unnikrishnan, GU, Barest, G, Berry, DB, Hussein, AI, Morgan, EF. “Effect of specimen-specific anisotropic material models in QCT-based finite element analysis of vertebra”. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 2013; 135(10):101007-11.
- Hussein, AI, Jackman, TM, Morgan, SR, Barest, GD, Morgan, EF. “The intra-vertebral distribution of bone density: correspondence to intervertebral disc health and implications for vertebral strength”. Osteoporosis International, 2013; 24(12):3021-30.
- Kuo, S, DeSilva, JM, Devlin, MJ, McDonald, G, Morgan, EF. “The effect of the Achilles tendon on trabecular structure in the primate calcaneus”. Anatomical Record, 2013; 296(10):1509-17.
- Zigdon-Giladi, H, Bick, T, Morgan, EF, Lewinson, D, Machtei, EE. “Peripheral blood-derived endothelial progenitor cells enhance vertical bone formation”. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, 2013; Apr 30 [Epub ahead of print]
- Hussein, AI, Mason, ZD, Morgan, EF. “Presence of intervertebral discs alters observed stiffness and failure mechanisms in the vertebra”. Journal of Biomechanics, 2013; 46(1):1683-8.
- Papadopoulos, G, Weinberg, EO, Massari, P, Gibson, FC 3rd, Wetzler, LM, Morgan, EF, Genco CA. “Macrophage-Specific TLR2 Signaling Mediates Pathogen-Induced TNF-Dependent Inflammatory Oral Bone Loss”. Journal of Immunology, 2013; 190(3):1148-57.
- Hayward, LNM, de Bakker, CMJ, Gerstenfeld, LC, Grinstaff, MW and Morgan, EF. “Assessment of contrast-enhanced computed tomography for imaging of cartilage during fracture healing”. Journal of Orthopedic Research, 2013; 31(4):567-73.
- Hussein, AI and Morgan, EF. “The effect of intra-vertebral heterogeneity in microstructure on vertebral strength and failure patterns”. Osteoporosis International, 2013; 24(3):979-89.
- To view the complete list of publications, please click here.