Ph.D., The Georgia Institute of Technology
phone: (617) 353-4847
office: 110 Cummington Mall, ENG 406
Structural acoustics * Automotive brake squeal
* Biological vibrations * Ocean wave energy
Professor McDaniel’s work integrates analytical, numerical, and experimental approaches in efforts to improve the built world and understand the natural world. Most of his research falls in the area of structural acoustics and involves interactions of vibrations and acoustics with complex structures and media. Examples of recent projects include mitigating automotive brake squeal, steering and mixing of waves in composite structures, escape hatching of the red-eyed tree frog, and the rheology of wet foam.
- Andrew S. Wixom and J. Gregory McDaniel, “Efficient analysis of modifications to complex structures for vibration reduction,” INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings, Vol. 246, No. 1, pp. 479–487, August 2013.
- J. Gregory McDaniel and Elizabeth A. Magliula, “Analysis and optimization of constrained layer damping treatments using a semi-analytical finite element method,”ICA 2013, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 3–4, 2013.
- Yifeng Lu, Yi Zhang, Yinghong Cao, J. Gregory McDaniel, and Ming L. Wang, “A Mobile Acoustic Subsurface Sensing (MASS) system for rapid roadway assessment,” Sensors, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 5881–5896, May 2013.
- Elizabeth A. Magliula and J. Gregory McDaniel, “Wave based analysis of the Green’s function for a layered cylindrical shell,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 132, No. 1, pp. 173–179, July 2012.
- Elizabeth A. Magliula, J. Gregory McDaniel, and Allan D. Pierce, “Far-field approximation for a point-excited anisotropic plate,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 131, No. 6, pp. 4535–4542, June 2012.
- J. Gregory McDaniel and W. Steve Shepard Jr., “Estimation of structural wave parameters from spatially sparse response measurements,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 108, No. 4, pp. 1674–1682, October 2000.