Ph.D., University of Mississippi
phone: (617) 353-9594
office: 110 Cummington Mall, ENG 417
Physical Acoustics * Sonoluminescence * Rheology of Foam * Biomedical Acoustics and High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound
Professor Glynn Holt’s research interests span a range of disciplines and involve physical acoustics, interfacial wave phenomena, nonlinear drop and bubble dynamics, and surface and bulk rheology. An experimentalist, he uses acoustic levitation as a non-contact probe of the behavior of free liquid surfaces. Some of his efforts are geared toward studying the effects of gravity on fluid problems, and he has been an investigator on liquid-drop experiments conducted on board the space shuttle.
Professor Holt is currently involved in three research projects: an investigation of bubble-mediated bioeffects of high-intensity focused ultrasound with potential clinical applications to tumor therapy and hemostasis (Army/NCPA); an investigation of the role gravity plays in sonoluminescence–the phenomenon in which short pulses of light are emitted by collapsing bubbles (NASA); and a project to explore the mechanical and acoustic behavior of aqueous foams near the order-disorder transition utilizing a unique acoustic levitation/modal analysis technique (NASA).
Professor Holt, a recipient of an Office of Naval Research Graduate Fellowship and a DAAD research fellowship in Germany, was selected by NASA as a payload specialist (alternate) crew member for the flight of the Second United States Microgravity Laboratory, which flew aboard the space shuttle Columbia in 1995.
- Ran, W., J.R. Saylor and R.G. Holt, “Improved particle scavenging by a combination of ultrasonics and water sprays”, Journal of Aerosol Science 67C, 104 (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2013.08.009
- Robert D. Valtierra, R. Glynn Holt, Danielle Cholewiak and Sofie M. Van Parijs, “Calling depths of baleen whales from single sensor data: Development of an autocorrelation method using multipath localization” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134, 2571 (2013).
- Jonathan R. Sukovich, Ashwin Sampathkumar, Phillip A. Anderson, R. Glynn Holt, Yuri A. Pishchalnikov, and D. Felipe Gaitan, “Temporally and spatially resolved imaging of laser-nucleated bubble cloud sonoluminescence.” Phys. Rev. E 85, 056605 (2012)
- Phillip Anderson, A. Sampathkumar, Todd W. Murray, D. Felipe Gaitan, and R. Glynn Holt, “Optical nucleation of bubble clouds in a high pressure spherical resonator”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130, 3389 (2011).
- Mohammad A. Alibakhshi and R. Glynn Holt, “Suppressing shape instabilities to discover the Bjerknes force instability”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130, 3321 (2011).
- Tianming Wu, Caleb H. Farny, Ronald A. Roy, and R. Glynn Holt, “Modeling cavitation nucleation from laserilluminated nanoparticles subjected to acoustic stress”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130, 3252 (2011).
- Charles R. Thomas, Ronald A. Roy, and R. Glynn Holt, “Ambient acceleration dependence of single-bubble sonoluminescence”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130, 3282 (2011).
- Jonathan Robert Sukovich, Ashwinkumar Sampathkumar, and R. Glynn Holt, “Pressure Dependence of Laser- Induced Dielectric Breakdown in Water”, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics 47 (10), 1297 – 1303, (2011).
- D. Felipe Gaitan, Ross A. Tessien, Robert A. Hiller, Joel Gutierrez, Corey Scott, Henry Tardif, Brant Callahan, Thomas J. Matula, Lawrence A. Crum, R. Glynn Holt, Charles C. Church and Jason L. Raymond, “Transient cavitation in high-quality-factor resonators at high static pressures”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 127 (6), 3456-3465, (2010).
- Parag V. Chitnis, Nicholas J. Manzi, Robin O. Cleveland, Ronald A. Roy and R. Glynn Holt, “Mitigation of Damage to Solid Surfaces From the Collapse of Cavitation Bubble Clouds”, Journal of Fluids Engineering 132, p. 051303-1 – 051303-6, (2010)