Harold Park, PhD
Ph.D., Northwestern University
Computational nanomechanics * surface effects on the behavior and properties of nanomaterials * mechanics of graphene * optomechanical coupling in nanostructures * electromechanical coupling in nanostructures
Harold S. Park is currently assistant professor of Mechanical Engineering at Boston University. His research has focused on developing and utilizing both atomistic and multiscale modeling approaches to understand surface effects on the behavior and properties of low-dimensional nanostructures such as nanowires and graphene. His research has resulted in 40 refereed journal publications; he is also the recipient of a 2007 NSF CAREER award, a 2008 DARPA Young Faculty Award, and the 2009 Gallagher Young Investigator Award from the US Association for Computational Mechanics (USACM).
- G. Yun and H.S. Park. “Bridging the Gap Between Experimental Measurements and Atomistic Predictions of the Elastic Properties of Silicon Nanowires Using Multiscale Modeling”, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 2012; 49:3-12. (Invited paper: Special issue on Analysis and Design of MEMS/NEMS).
- H.S. Park. “Surface Stress Effects on the Critical Buckling Strains of Silicon Nanowires”, Computational Materials Science 2012; 51:396-401.
- S. Dai, M. Gharbi, P. Sharma and H.S. Park. “Surface Piezoelectricity, Size-Effects in Nanostructures and the Emergence of Piezoelectricity in Non-Piezoelectric Materials”, Journal of Applied Physics 2011; 110:104305.
- G. Yun, P. Cao, J.A. Zimmerman, T.J. Delph and H.S. Park. “Nonlocal Instability Analysis of FCC Bulk and (100) Surfaces Under Uniaxial Stretching”, International Journal of Solids and Structures 2011; 48:3406-3416.
- S.Y. Kim and H.S. Park. “On the Effective Plate Thickness of Monolayer Graphene from Flexural Wave Propagation”, Journal of Applied Physics 2011; 110:054324.
- J-H Seo, Y. Yoo, N-Y Park, S-W Yoon, H Lee, S Han, S-W Lee, T-Y Seong, S-C Lee, K-B Lee, P-R Cha, H.S. Park, B. Kim and J-P Ahn. “Superplastic Deformation of Defect-Free Au Nanowires via Coherent Twin Propagation”, Nano Letters 2011; 11:3499-3502.
- X. Ben and H.S. Park. “Size-Dependence of the Plasmon Ruler for Two-Dimensional Metal Nanosphere Arrays”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2011; 115:15915-15926.
- H.S. Park, M. Devel and Z. Wang. “A New Multiscale Formulation for the Electromechanical Behavior of Nanomaterials”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 2011; 200:2447-2457.
- F. Song, G.L. Huang, H.S. Park and X.N. Liu. “A Continuum Model of the Mechanical Behavior of Nanowires Including Surface and Surface-Induced Initial Stresses”, International Journal of Solids and Structures 2011; 48:2154-2163.
- P. A. T. Olsson and H.S. Park. “Atomistic Study of the Buckling of Gold Nanowires”, Acta Materialia 2011; 59:3883-3894.
- K. Eom, H.S. Park, D.S. Yoon and T. Kwon. “Nanomechanical Resonators and Their Applications in Biological/Chemical Detection: Nanomechanics Principles”, Physics Reports 2011; 503:115-163.
- S.Y. Kim and H.S. Park. “Boundary Condition and Strain Effects on the Q-Factors of Carbon Nanotubes”, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience 2011; 8:814-819. (Invited paper: Special Issue on Multiscale and Multiphysics Simulations for Energy Applications).
- S. Jun, T. Tashi and H.S. Park. “Size-Dependence of the Nonlinear Elastic Softening of Nanoscale Graphene Monolayers Under Plane-Strain Bulge Tests: A Molecular Dynamics Study”, Journal of Nanomaterials 2011; 380286. (Invited paper: Special Issue on Low-Dimensional Carbon Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties, and Applications).