Ph.D., University of Utah
phone: (617) 358-2297
office: 730 Commonwealth Avenue, ENA 210
Fuel cells * Chemical thermodynamics * Kinetics and transport phenomena to model the behavior of electrochemical systems
Professor Srikanth Gopalan conducts research in the areas of application of solid state electrochemistry to clean power generation. He is interested in the role of materials structure, point defect chemistry, microstructure, and interfaces on their electrical and transport properties. Applications of interest include solid oxide fuel cells, hydrogen generation through membrane separation, electrochemical sensors and energy storage.
Current projects include: application of x-ray, spectroscopic, and electrochemical tools to unravel the cathodic processes in solid oxide fuel cells, application of a mixed ionic and electronic conducting membrane for high purity hydrogen generation, conversion of waste to hydrogen using a modified high temperature electrolysis process, and potentiometric sensors for sensing rare earth cations in aqueous media.
- Weidong He, Kyung Joong Yoon, Ryan S. Eriksen, Srikanth Gopalan, Soumendra N. Basu, Uday B. Pal, “Out-of-Cell Measurements of H2-H2O Effective Binary Diffusivity in the Porous Anode of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFCs),” Journal of Power Sources, 195, p. 532, 2010.
- Kyung Joong Yoon, Guosheng Ye, Srikanth Gopalan, and Uday B. Pal, “Cost-effective Single Step Co-firing Process for Manufacturing Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFCs) using High Shear Compaction (HSC)TM Anode,” Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, vol. 7(2), 2010.
- W. Huang, S. Gopalan, U.B. Paul, and S.N. Basu, “Evaluation of Electrophoretically Deposited CuMn1.8O4 Spinel Coatings on Crofer 22 APU for Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Interconnects,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 155, B1161, 2008.
- K.J. Yoon, S. Gopalan, and U.B. Pal, “Effect of Anode Active Layer on Performance of Single-Step Cofired Solid Oxide Fuel Cells,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 155, B610, 2008.
- K.J. Yoon, S. Gopalan, and U.B. Pal, “Effect of Fluid Composition on Performance of Single-Step Cofried SOFCs,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 154, B1080, 2007.
- K.J. Yoon, W. Huang, G.S. Ye, S. Gopalan, and U.B. Pal, and D. Seccombe, “Electrochemical Performance of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Manufactured by Single Step Co-firing Process,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 154, B389, 2007.