Ph.D., Harvard University
phone: (617) 358-6929
office: 730 Commonwealth Avenue, EMA 220
lab: Interfacial Fluid Dynamics Laboratory, EMA 224
Interfacial fluid dynamics * Fluid-solid interactions * Microfluidics * Electrohydrodynamics * Drops and bubbles
James Bird’s current research interests are broadly in fluid dynamics with a specific focus on the capillary dynamics of drops and bubbles. Combining both experiments and theory, he investigates problems such as how drops spread on surfaces and how bubbles pop. His research is motivated by problems in a variety of fields, including healthcare (e.g. virus transfer via droplets), energy (e.g. boiling and condensation), and materials (e.g. foams).
- C.T. Bartlett, G.A. Généro, & J.C. Bird (under review). “Coalescence and break-up of nearly inviscid conical droplets.”
- J.C. Bird, R. Dhiman, H. Kwon, & K. K. Varanasi (2013). “Reducing contact time of a bouncing drop.” Nature. 503, 385-388.
- H. Kim, J.C. Bird, K. Varanasi (2013) “Increasing Leidenfrost point using micro-nano hierarchical surface structures.” Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 201601.
- J.C. Bird, R. de Ruiter, L. Courbin, & H.A. Stone (2010) “Daughter bubble cascades produced by folding of ruptured thin films.” Nature. 465, 759-762.
- A.C. Rowat,J.C. Bird, J.J. Agresti, O.J. Rando, and D.A. Weitz (2009). “Tracking lineages of cells in lines using a microfluidic device.” Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 106:18149-18154.
- J.C. Bird, W. D. Ristenpart, A. Belmonte, and H.A. Stone (2009). ”Critical angle for electrically driven coalescence of two conical droplets.” Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 164502.
- W. D. Ristenpart, J.C. Bird, A. Belmonte, F. Dollar, and H.A. Stone (2009). “Non-coalescence of oppositely charged drops” Nature 461, 377-380.
- J.C. Bird, S.S.H. Tsai, and H.A. Stone (2009). “Inclined to splash: Triggering and inhibiting a splash with tangential velocity.” New J. Phys. 11, 063017.
- J.C. Bird, S. Mandre, and H.A. Stone (2008). “Short-time dynamic of partial wetting.” Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 234501.
- M.J. Kim, J.C. Bird, A.J. VanParys, K.S. Breuer, & T.R. Powers (2003). ”A macroscopic scale model of bacterial flagellar bundling.” Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 100: 15481-15485.