Ph.D., Brown University
phone: (617) 353-8670
office: 110 Cummington Mall, ENG 408
Nanomechanics, Nanofluidics, Nanophotonics, Applications of MEMS and NEMS
Professor K.L. Ekinci’s research focuses on mechanical systems at the nanometer length scales. His lab, the Laboratory for Nanometer Scale Engineering, is an integral part of the recently renovated BU Nanoscale Research Facility, where nanoscale mechanical and electronic devices can be fabricated using state-of-the-art nanofabrication techniques. Through measurements of the physical properties of nanomechanical systems, Dr. Ekinci hopes to gain a better understanding of the fundamental physical processes in nanomechanical systems such as dissipation and fluctuations. The practical aspects of his research involve the design and fabrication of ultra-high speed nanomechanical sensors.
The efforts in the field of nanomechanical systems in Ekinci’s lab are complemented with investigations of the electronic conduction and mechanical structure of thin metal films through scanning probe microscopy and transport measurements in Ultra High Vacuum (UHV).
- K.L. Ekinci, D.M. Karabacak, and V. Yakhot “Universality in Oscillating Flows,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 264501, 2008.
- K.L. Ekinci, News & Views, “All You Need is Feedback,” Nature Nanotechnology 3, 319, 2008.
- K.L. Ekinci and J. Bruegger, “Nanofabrication of Nanoelectromechanical Systems (NEMS): Emerging Techniques,” in Nanofabrication: Fundamentals and Applications edited by Ampere A. Tseng. World Scientific Publishing, Singapore, 2007.
- U. Kemiktarak, T. Ndukum, K.C. Schwab and K.L. Ekinci, “Radio-frequency Scanning Tunneling Microscopy,” Nature 450, 85, 2007.
- N.O. Azak, M. Shagam, D.M. Karabacak, K.L. Ekinci, D.H. Kim and D.J. Yang, “Nanomechanical Displacement Detection using Fiber-optic Interferometry,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 254505, 2007.
- D.M. Karabacak, V. Yakhot and K.L. Ekinci, “High-Frequency Nanofluidics: An Experimental Study Using Nanomechanical Resonators,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 254505, 2007.
- D.M. Karabacak, K.L. Ekinci, S.B. Ippolito, C.H. Gan, G. Gbur, M.S. Unlu, P. Scott Carney “Diffraction of Evanescent Waves and Nanomechanical Displacement Detection,” Opt. Lett. 32, 1881, 2007.
- Patrick A. Truitt, Jared Hertzberg, C.C. Huang, K.L. Ekinci and K.C. Schwab, “Efficient and Sensitive Capacitive Read-out of Nanomechanical Resonator Arrays,” Nano Lett. 7, 120, 2007.