Professor and Director, Photonics Center
Ph.D., North Carolina State University
phone: (617) 353-8899
office: 8 St. Mary’s Street, PHO 712
Deformable Mirrors * Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS) * Adaptive Optics
* Biphotonic Microscopy * Astronomical Telescope Instrumentation * Laser Wavefront Control
Dr. Bifano directs the Boston University Photonics Center (BUPC), a core facility and academic center of excellence comprised of thirty-five faculty members from seven academic departments, eighty graduate students, and ten staff members. He leads BUPC programs for education, scholarly research and development of advanced photonic device prototypes for commercial and military applications. He manages a state-of-the-art facility that includes more than a dozen special-purpose and shared research laboratories and a large business incubator.
Dr. Bifano also serves as a Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and was Chair of the Manufacturing Engineering Department from 1999-2006. His research focuses on modeling, design, production, and use of micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) in optical applications.
- Y. Lu, T. Bifano, S Ünlü, and B. Goldberg, “Aberration compensation in aplanatic
solid immersion lens microscopy” Optics Express, , 28189-28197, 2013.
- H.P. Paudel, C. Stockbridge, J. Mertz, and T. Bifano, “Focusing polychromatic light
through strongly scattering media,” Optics Express, , 17299-17308, 2013.
- C. Stockbridge, Y. Lu, J. Moore, S. Hoffman, R. Paxman, K. Toussaint , and T. Bifano,
“Focusing through dynamic scattering media,” Optics Express, , 15086-15092, 2012.
- S. Tripathi, R. Paxman, T. Bifano, and K.C. Toussaint, “Vector transmission matrix
for the polarization behavior of light propagation in highly scattering
media,” Optics Express, , 16067-16076, 2012.
- Y. Lu, C.R. Stockbridge, S.M. Hoffman, and T.G. Bifano, “Variable zoom system with
aberration correction capability,” Journal of Modern Optics, 1-7, 2012.
- B.B. Goldberg, A. Yurt, Y. Lu, E. Ramsay, F.H. Koklu, J. Mertz, T.G. Bifano, and M.S. Ünlü, “Chromatic and spherical aberration correction for silicon aplanatic solid immersion lens for fault isolation and photon emission microscopy of integrated circuits,” Microelectronic Reliability, , 1637-1639, 2011.
- T. Bifano, “Adaptive imaging: MEMS deformable mirrors,” Nature Photonics, , 21-23, 2011.