Associate Division Head, Division of Materials Science and Engineering
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
phone: (617) 353-6728
division website: http://www.bu.edu/mse
office: 730 Commonwealth Avenue, EMA 204
Processing/structure/property relationships in thin films and coatings for energy, electronic, photonic and structural applications* Environmental degradation of materials at elevated temperatures * Structure and stability of interfaces * Characterization of microstructure and phase transformations using electron microscopy techniques
Professor Basu conducts research and teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses in Materials Science and Engineering. His research interests include procession/structure/property relationships in thin films for energy, photonic, electronic, and superconducting applications; and in thermal barrier and environmental barrier coatings for gas turbine and fuel cell applications. Professor Basu also researches environmental degradation of materials at elevated temperatures; structure and stability of interfaces; and characterization of structure and phase transformations in materials using electron microscopy techniques.
Professor Basu has published more than 100 technical papers and has presented more than 50 talks nationally and internationally. He is the Principal Editor for the book Surface Engineering 2004 – Fundamentals and Applications. He has consulted with several companies on a variety of materials issues, and has been on the Organizing/International Advisory Committees of several international conferences. Professor Basu has been a member of Photonics Center at Boston University.
- J.N. Davis, Y. Yu, D. Cetin, K.F. Ludwig, U.B. Pal, S. Gopalan, and S.N. Basu, “Surface Segregation and Phase Formation in Thin Films of SOFC Cathode Materials”, accepted for publication in Proceedings of Energy Technology 2014: High-temperature Material Systems for Energy Conversion and Storage, TMS (2014).
- S.N. Basu and V.K. Sarin, “Thermal and Environmental Barrier Coatings”, Comprehensive Hard Materials, edited by V.K. Sarin, Elsevier Ltd., 2013, in press.
- J.P. Xu, B. Lo, Y. Jiang, U.B. Pal, and S.N. Basu, “Stability of Yttria Stabilized Zirconia in Molten Oxy-Fluorite Flux for the Production of Silicon with the Solid Oxide Membrane Process”, submitted to the Journal of the European Ceramic Society (2013).
- C.M. Heveran, J.P. Xu, V.K. Sarin, and S.N. Basu, “Simulation of Stresses in TBC-EBC Coating Systems for Ceramic Components in Gas Turbines”, Surface & Coatings Technology, 235, 354–360 (2013).
- J.D. Milshtein, E. Gratz, S.N. Basu, S. Gopalan, and U.B. Pal, “Study of the Two-Step W/WO3 Solar to Fuel Conversion Cycle for Syngas Production”, Journal of Power Sources, 236, 95-102 (2013).
- J.D. Milshtein, S.N. Basu, S. Gopalan, and U.B. Pal, ““A Thermochemical Study of the W/WO3 System: A Solar to Fuel Converter for Syngas Production”, Energy Technology 2013: Carbon Dioxide Management and Other Technologies Edited by: S. Pati, J. Drelich, A. Jha, N. Neelameggham, L. Prentice, and C.Wang, TMS (2013).
- Y. Jiang, J.P. Xu, B. Lo, U.B. Pal, and S.N. Basu, “Production of Silicon from Silica: Solid-Oxide-Membrane Based Electrolysis Process”, EPD Congress 2013 (2013), DOI: 10.1002/9781118658468.ch20
- J.P. Xu, V. K. Sarin, and S. N. Basu, “Stability Study of EBC/TBC Hybrid System on Si-based Ceramics in Gas Turbines”, MRS Proceedings, Vol. 1519 (2013), DOI: 10.1557/opl.2012.1717
- L.J. Miara, J.N. Davis, S.N. Basu, U.B. Pal, and S. Gopalan, “Application of a State-Space Model to Patterned Cathodes of (La0.87Ca0.13)0.95MnO3”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society,158 , B1523-B1531, 2011.
- T. Kulkarni, S.N. Basu and V.K. Sarin, “Protective Al-rich Mullite Coatings on Si-based Ceramics Against Hot Corrosion at 1200 °C”, Surface & Coatings Technology,205 3313–3318, 2011.
- L. F. J. Piper, A. R. H. Preston, S.-W. Cho, A. DeMasi, B. Chen, K. E. Smith, L. Miara, J. N. Davis, S. N. Basu, U. Pal, S. Gopalan, L. Saraf, T. Kaspar, B. Kennedy, C. McGuinness, P.-A. Glans, and J.-H. Guo, “Soft X-ray Spectroscopic Study of Strontium-doped Lanthanum Manganite (La0.8Sr0.2MnO3) Cathodes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Applications”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society158 , B99-B105, 2011.