Ph.D., Stanford University
phone: (617) 353-6063
office: 730 Commonwealth Avenue, EMA 221
Theoretical & computational (bio) mechanicsand (bio) acoustics * Medical (ultrasound) imaging * Inverse problems * Finite element methods * Scattering * Multiple scales * Microstructure * Dynamics and vibration of complex systems
Paul Barbone uses tools from applied mathematics to study forward and inverse problems in (bio)mechanics, (bio)acoustics, medical imaging, and other areas. He has studied and made contributions in the areas of structural acoustics; waves in elastic media, piezoelectric media, layered media, periodic media, and in media with microstructure; vibration of infinitely complicated structures, hybrid asymptotic/numerical methods, optimal finite element methods, algebraic eigenvalue problems, nonlinear acoustic propagation, multiphase (bubbly) flow and ultrasound imaging.
His most recent interests (as of 2001/02) lie in the areas of inverse elasticity problems as applied to medical imaging (elastography) and soft-tissue biomechanics.
- Nachiket H. Gokhale, Assad A. Oberai, Paul E. Barbone, “Solution of the non-linear elasticity imaging inverse problem: the compressible case,” Inverse Problems, 24(4), August 2008.
- Parag Chitnis, Paul E. Barbone, and Robin O. Cleveland, “Customization of the acoustic ﬁeld produced by a piezoelectric array through inter-element delays,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 123(6), pp. 4174–4185, June 2008.
- Gearóid P. Berry, Jeﬀrey C. Bamber, Peter S. Mortimer, Nigel L. Bush, Naomi R. Miller, Paul E. Barbone, “The spatio-temporal strain response of oedematous and non-oedematous tissue to sustained compression in vivo,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, Volume 34, Issue 4, pp. 617-629, April 2008.
- Christophe Lecomte, J. Gregory McDaniel and Paul E. Barbone, “Two error bounds for dynamic condensation methods,” AIAA Journal, 46(1), pp. 166–176, Jan. 2008.
- Paul E. Barbone, Assad A. Oberai, and Isaac Harari, “Adjoint weighted variational formulation for direct computational solution of an inverse heat conduction problem,” Inverse Problems, 23, pp. 2325–2342, 2007.
- Ricardo Leiderman, Paul E. Barbone, and Arthur M.B. Braga, “Reconstructing the adhesion stiffness distribution in a laminated elastic plate: Exact and approximate inverse scattering solutions,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 122(4), pp. 1906–1916, 2007.
- A. Oberai, P. E. Barbone, and I. Harari, “The adjoint weighted equation for steady advection in a compressible ﬂuid,” Int. J. Num. Meth. in Fluids, 54:683–693, 2007.
- Paul E Barbone and Assad A Oberai, “Elastic modulus imaging: some exact solutions of the compressible elastography inverse problem,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, 52, pp. 1577–1593, 2007.
- R Leiderman, PE Barbone, AA Oberai, and JC Bamber, “Coupling between elastic strain and interstitial ﬂuid ﬂow: Ramiﬁcations for poroelastic imaging,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, 51 (24), pp. 6291-6313, 2006.