Ph.D., Stanford University
phone: (617) 353-6063
office: 730 Commonwealth Avenue, EMA 221
Theoretical & computational (bio) mechanicsand (bio) acoustics * Medical (ultrasound) imaging * Inverse problems * Finite element methods * Scattering * Multiple scales * Microstructure * Dynamics and vibration of complex systems
Paul Barbone uses tools from applied mathematics to study forward and inverse problems in (bio)mechanics, (bio)acoustics, medical imaging, and other areas. He has studied and made contributions in the areas of structural acoustics; waves in elastic media, piezoelectric media, layered media, periodic media, and in media with microstructure; vibration of infinitely complicated structures, hybrid asymptotic/numerical methods, optimal finite element methods, algebraic eigenvalue problems, nonlinear acoustic propagation, multiphase (bubbly) flow and ultrasound imaging.
His most recent interests (as of 2001/02) lie in the areas of inverse elasticity problems as applied to medical imaging (elastography) and soft-tissue biomechanics.
- Timothy J. Hall, Assad A. Oberai, Paul E. Barbone, and Matthew Bayer. “Ultrasound elastography”. In Ultrasound Imaging and Therapy, Imaging in Medical Diagnosis and Therapy (WR Hendee). CRC Press, 2014.
- P.E. Barbone, A.A. Oberai, J.C. Bamber, G.P. Berry, J.F. Dord, E. Rodrigues Ferreira, S. Goenezen, and T.J. Hall. “Biomechanical imaging: Elastography beyond youngs modulus”. In CRC Handbook of Imaging in Biological Mechanics. Taylor and Francis, 2014.
- BF Zagadou, P.E. Barbone, and DC Mountain. “Elastic properties of organ of corti tissues from point-stiness measurement and inverse analysis”. Journal of Biomechanics, 2014.
- U Albocher, P.E. Barbone, MS Richards, AA Oberai, and I Harari. “Approaches to accommodate noisy data in the direct solution of inverse problems in incompressible plane strain elasticity”. Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering, pages 1-22, 2013.
- Elizabeth P Canovic, D Thomas Seidl, Samuel R Polio, Assad A Oberai, Paul E Barbone, Dimitrije Stamenovic, and Michael L Smith. “Biomechanical imaging of cell stiness and prestress with subcellular resolution”. Biomechanics and modeling in mechanobiology, pages 1-14, 2013.
- “Solution of the time-harmonic viscoelastic inverse problem with interior data in two dimensions,” Yixiao Zhang, Assad A Oberai, Paul E Barbone, and Isaac Harari. Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng. 92(13), pp. 1100-1116, 28 December 2012.
- “Digital volume correlation for study of the mechanics of whole bones.” Hussein, AI, Barbone, PE, Morgan, EF. IUTAM Symposium on Full-eld Measurements and Identification in Solid Mechanics Cachan, France 4-8 July 2011, Procedia IUTAM, 4, pp. 116125, 2012.
- “Reconstructing the spatial distribution of the ltration coecient in vascularized soft tissues: Exact and approximate inverse solutions,” Ricardo Leiderman, Assad A. Oberai, and Paul E. Barbone. Comptes Rendus Mecanique, 338, pp. 412-423, 2010.
- “Adjoint-weighted variational formulation for the direct solution of inverse problems of general linear elasticity with full interior data,” Paul E. Barbone, Carlos E. Rivas, Isaac Harari, Uri Albocher, Assad A. Oberai, and Yixiao Zhang. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng, (2010). doi: 10.1002/nme.2760