Ph.D., University of Maryland, College Park
phone: (617) 353-4949
office: 110 Cummington Mall, ENG 421
Robotics * Control Theory * Scanning probe microscopy * Symbolic-based control
Professor Andersson believes the potential of scanning probe microscopy has not yet been realized. His current work in this area focuses on bringing systems and control theory to bear in atomic force and confocal laser scanning microscopies with the goal of extending the domain of applicability of these technologies deeper into the realm of dynamic processes.
In symbolic control and robotics, his research is aimed at developing methods for handling the complexity of robots operating in real-world environments. Ongoing work includes the use of symbols to tokenize both the environment and the controls as well as efforts to handle the stochastic nature of actuators and sensors. He is also interested in cooperative approaches based on a symbolic framework of control.
- B. Maxwell and S.B. Andersson, “A compressed sensing measurement matrix for atomic force microscopy,” American Controls Conference, to appear, 2014.
- T.T. Ashley and S.B. Andersson, “A sequential Monte Carlo framework for the system identication of Markov jump processes,” American Controls Conference, to appear, 2014.
- S.B. Andersson, “Symbolic control,” in Encyclopedia of Systems and Control, T. Samad and J.Baillieul, editors, Springer, 2014.
- P. Huang and S.B. Andersson, ”High-speed atomic force microscopy enabled through a sample prole estimator,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 102, no. 21, 213118 (4 pages), 2013.
- Z. Shen, P. Huang and S.B. Andersson, “Calculating switching times for the time-optimal control of single-input, single-output second order systems,” Automatica, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 1340-1347, 2013.
- H. Cho, D. Alcantara, R.A. Sheth, H.H. Chen, P. Huang, S.B. Andersson, D.E. Sosnovik, U. Mahmood, and L. Josephson, “Fluorochrome-functionalized nanoparticles for imaging DNA in biological systems,” ACS Nano, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 2032-2041, 2013.
- Y. Xi and S.B. Andersson, “Effect of switching delay on a networked control system,” IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 5945-5950, 2013.
- A. Medina Ayala, S.B. Andersson, and C. Belta, “Temporal logic motion planning in unknown environments,” IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5279-5284, 2013.