Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Director, Center for Future Technologies in Cancer Care
Primary appointment, BME
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
phone: (617) 358-0253
office: 44 Cummington Mall, ERB 725, Boston, MA 02215
The Klapperich Laboratory for Diagnostics and Global Healthcare Technologies is focused on the design and engineering of manufacturable, disposable systems for low-cost point-of-care molecular diagnostics. We have invented technologies to perform microfluidic sample preparation for bacterial and viral targets from several human body fluids including, urine, blood, stool and nasowash. These technologies include nucleic acid extraction, protein extraction, microorganism enrichment and/or concentration and small-scale dialysis. We are currently working on devices for the detection and quantification of HIV, hemorrhagic fevers, infectious diarrheas, influenza, MRSA and cancer biomarkers.
- Samantha Byrnes, Andy Fan, Jacob Trueb, Francis Jareczek, Mark Mazzochette, Andre Sharon, Alexis F. Sauer-Budge and Catherine M. Klapperich, (2013) A portable, pressure driven, room temperature nucleic acid extraction and storage system for point of care molecular diagnostics, Anal. Methods, Advance Article DOI: 10.1039/C3AY40162F, Anal Methods 2013
- Huang S, Do J, Mahalanabis M, Fan A, Zhao L, et al. (2013) Low Cost Extraction and Isothermal Amplification of DNA for Infectious Diarrhea Diagnosis. PLoS ONE8(3): e60059. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0060059
- J. Y. Zhang, M. Mahalanabis, L. Liu, J. Chang, N. Pollock, C. Klapperich*, “A disposable microfluidic virus concentration device based on evaporation and interfacial tension,”Diagnostics (2013), 3, 155-169.
- Q. Cao, M. Mahalanabis, J. Chang, B. Carey, C. Hsieh, A. Stanley, C. A. Odell, P. Mitchell, J. Feldman, N. R. Pollock, C. M. Klapperich,“Microfluidic Chip for Molecular Amplification of Influenza A RNA in Human Respiratory Specimens,” PLoS ONE 7(3): e33176. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033176, (2012).
- Nga T Ho; Andy Fan; Catherine M Klapperich; Mario Cabodi, “Sample concentration and purification for point-of-care diagnostics,” Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2012, 2396 (2012).
- CM Klapperich, M Mahalanabis, SH Patel, S Sharma, JE Rosen, “A novel platform for nucleic acid biomarker-based diagnosis of thyroid cancer,” Head & Neck Oncology 4 (5), 85, (2012).
- B. Plouffe, M. Mahalanabis, L. Lewis, C. Klapperich and S. Murthy, “Clinically Relevant Microfluidic Magnetophoretic Isolation of Rare-Cell Populations for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Monitoring Applications” Anal Chem. Feb 7;84(3):1336-44, (2012).
- W.R. Premasiri, A.F. Sauer-Budge, J.C. Lee, C.M. Klapperich and L.D. Ziegler, “Rapid Bacterial Diagnostics Via Surface-Enhanced Raman Microscopy,” Spectroscopy, supplement, pp. 8-21, June (2012).
- A. Sampathkumar, C. M. Klapperich, J. R. Saylor and R. G. Holt, “Optical freezing of Faraday waves for precise pore distributions in tissue scaffolds”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, 2679 (2011).
- A.W. Gruentzig, C.M. Klapperich, A. Sharon, J. Braman, A. Chatterjee and A.F. Sauer-Budge, “A new DNA extraction method for automated food analysis,” Anal. Methods, 2011, 3 (7), 1507 – 1513, (2011).