ME Graduate Coursework
The coursework requirements for PhD students are the same as those for MSME students. A planning sheet is provided to help guide the selection of courses.
- ME Core Requirement (3 courses; 12 credits). Two credits from the chosen Concentration Area and one course from the chosen Breadth Area
Areas: Acoustics; Dynamics, Systems and Controls; Solid Mechanics/Materials; MEMS/Nanotechnology; Thermofluid Science and Energy; Biomechanics/Biomaterials
- Engineering/Science Electives (2 courses; 8 credits). Any two 500-/700-level courses in engineering or physical science
- Mathematics Requirement (1 course; 4 credits). Selected from an approved list
- For students pursuing a post-bachelor’s PhD or master’s with thesis: Thesis Credit Requirement (2 courses; 8 credits)
- For students pursuing a non-thesis master’s: ME Electives (2 courses; 8 credits). Any 500-/700-level course in Mechanical Engineering
- The set of courses used to satisfy the requirements for the MS in Mechanical Engineering must consist of no more than one course from the list of Engineering Management courses
- Students may elect to complete a practicum as part of their course requirements. Courses satisfying the practicum require completion of a major project by students working either in groups or independently.
- Students select courses in consultation with their academic advisors.
- The number of courses a student will take any semester depends on the student’s funding source, research obligations, employment constraints, and whether the student is post MS or post BS.
- Further course information together with offerings over the past several years listed with their syllabi is available.
- For deviations from the planning sheet requirements a petition may be filed.
- Petition for Directed Study/Independent Coursework