Ph.D Program Milestones
Ph.D. Program Milestones
The department considers it essential that each student progress in a timely manner towards
the degree. The following are the deadlines for achieving the milestones described in the Degree
Requirements, and constitute the basis for evaluating satisfactory progress towards the Ph.D.
These deadlines are not to be construed as expected times to complete the various milestones,
but rather as upper bounds. In other words, a student in good standing expecting to complete
the degree within the five years of guaranteed funding will meet these milestones by the much
earlier target dates indicated below. Failure to achieve these milestones in a timely manner may
affect financial aid.
- Completion of preliminary exam (post-BA only – not required of post-MA admits) – April
of year 2. (Target: April of year 1)
- Selection of dissertation advisor – end of year 3. (Target: spring of year 2)
- Completion of qualifying exam – end of year 3 (post-BA)/ end of year 2 (post-MA). (Target:
spring of year 2 (post-BA)/spring of year 1 (post-MA)).
- Fulllment of course requirements – end of year 4. (Target: end of year 3)
- Fulllment of language requirement – end of year 5. (Target: end of year 3)
- Completion of dissertation and dissertation defense – end of year 6. (Target: end of year 5)