Reserve Information: Faculty
The Reserves Service
Material placed on reserve is shelved behind the circulation desk. Items from the Mugar and PERL collections as well as personal copies of such material as books, syllabi, lecture notes, articles, or sample exams may be designated for reserve. Every effort is made to ensure the best security for the personal property of faculty members, but PERL cannot assume responsibility for lost or damaged items.
Please use a separate Reserve Request Form for each course. Items should be designated for loan periods of two hours/overnight, two hours (no overnight), one day, three days, or seven days.
To ensure that reserve material is available in time for your class, please note the following:
- Due to high volume, requests submitted at the beginning of each semester may take up to a week to be processed.
- Reserves are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Personal copies given as reserve material will be expedited and available within 48 hours.
- The library does not make copies, so please supply any multiples required.
- Please allow 2 weeks for the recall of a book checked out to another patron.
- The purchase and processing of books not owned by the library normally takes 4-6 weeks.
Printable Reserve Request Form
This form is also available at the circulation desk in the library. You are welcome to take one and make copies for future reserve items. Give this form and any personal copies to the staff at the circulation desk.
A record for an item will appear in the BU Libraries Search (course reserves tab) when it has been processed. Search by bibliographic info (title, author, etc.), by course number with no space (e.g. RS650), or by instructor name.
Removing Items from Reserves
Faculty may remove or modify their reserve material by filling out this Printable Reserve Request Form and selecting the DELETE or MODIFY option at the top right hand corner of the form. The Reserve Coordinator will remove the items off reserve and return the items via campus mail or in person at the Circulation desk. Faculty can also check out their own reserve items for an extended period of time. In January of each year, the Reserve Coordinator sends to all SED faculty via campus mail a list of their current reserve items in order to keep their reserve material up-to-date.
Contact the Reserve Coordinator
Sean Giere (email@example.com)