The following databases all contain a large number of articles pertaining to biology and the life sciences. To find articles on topics relating to zoology, try searching these first.
- Web of Science
- Biological Abstracts
- Biological & Agricultural Index Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- General Science Full Text (H.W. Wilson)
Other Subject-Specific Databases
If you can’t find what you need in any of the core databases, try searching any of the databases below that focus more narrowly on your topic.
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry – Agricola
- Animal Behavior – PsycARTICLES; PsycInfo; and Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Ecology and Environmental Concerns – Environment Complete; GreenFILE; Waters and Oceans Worldwide; and Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide
- Fisheries - Agricola; ASFA: Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts; and Waters and Oceans Worldwide
- Marine and Freshwater Biology – ASFA: Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts; Waters and Oceans Worldwide; and Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide
- Ornithology (birds) – Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide
- Primatology (monkeys, apes, etc) – PrimateLit; Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide
- Veterinary Science – Agricola
This web site aims to become a clearinghouse of data concerning amphibians (frogs, toads, newts, and salamanders) and their population deteriorations worldwide by collecting pertinent information about them.
Animal Diversity Web
This web site is an online database of animal natural history, distribution, classification, and conservation biology.
This website provides information about biodiversity hotspots, 35 regions where success in conserving species can have an enormous impact in securing our global biodiversity.
Entomology Database Library (National Museum of Natural History (NMNH))
This web site contains a wealth of information about entomology (study of insects) at NMNH.
This is an information system with key data on the biology of all fishes including population dynamics, taxonomy, conservation, physiology, ecology, and genetics.
Integrated Taxonomic Information System
Web site for authoritative taxonomic information on plants, animals, and microbes of the world.
This site contains a series of databases providing a uniform and validated quality index of names of all known species.
Organization for those interested in the systematics of both living and extinct animals.
This organization is the oldest whale conservation group in the world.
The mission of the American Fisheries Society is to improve the conservation and sustainability of fishery resources and aquatic ecosystems by advancing fisheries and aquatic science and promoting the development of fisheries professionals.
Organization for professionals and hobbyists interested in mollusks.
Large organization devoted to the scientific study of birds.
Organization for scientists and students interested in fish, amphibians, and reptiles.
Organization with the purpose of promoting interest in the study of mammals. Most members are professional scientists.
This society of professional and amateur ornithologists is dedicated to the scientific study and dissemination of information about birds in their natural habitats.
This center is an endangered species advocate who provides an excellent web site for information about endangered animal species.
Organization that works to advance knowledge of birds and their habitat.
Society working to advance the study of all aspects of the biology of the Crustacea by promoting the exchange and dissemination of information throughout the world.
This non-profit organization works to advance the power of individuals to take informed and compassionate action to improve the environment for all living things.
Society dedicated to promoting the pursuit and public dissemination of important information relating to biology.
International organization interested in the study of birds.
WWF’s mission is to conserve nature and reduce the most pressing threats to the diversity of life on Earth.