Women in the United States in the 19th Century
This a a selective guide to library and other resources on women in the United States in the nineteenth century
Databases, Indexes & Full Text Sources
- America: History and Life
- America’s Historical Newspapers
- American Periodicals
- Boston Globe (Historical)
- Making of America (MOA).
- New York Times (Historical)
- North American Immigrant Letters, Diaries and Oral Histories
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Sociological Abstracts
- Studies on Women and Gender Abstracts
- Women Writers Online
- Women’s Studies International
- ABC-CLIO Companion to Women’s Progress in America. 1994.
- American Women’s History: An A to Z of People, Organizations, Issues, and Events. 1994.
- Encyclopedia of the United States in the Nineteenth Century. 3 vols. 2001.
- Encyclopedia of Women in American History. 3 vols. 2002.
- Handbook of American Women’s History. 2nd ed. 2000.
- Women’s Rights in the United States: A Documentary History. 1994.
- Chronology of Women Worldwide: People, Places and Events That Shaped Women’s History. 1997.
- Chronology of Women’s History. 1994.
- NAWSA Timeline: One Hundred Years toward Suffrage: An Overview.
- Timetables of Women’s History. 1994.
- The Women’s Chronology. 1994.
- Women’s Firsts. 1997.
- African American National Biography. 8 vols. 2008.
- American National Biography Online.
- Black Women in America. 2nd ed. 3 vols. 2005.
- European Immigrant Women in the United States: A Biographical Dictionary. 1994.
- Notable American Women, 1607 – 1950: A Biographical Dictionary. 3 vols. 1971.
- African American Women Writers of the 19th Century.
- American Women’s History: A Research Guide.
- American Women: A Gateway to Library of Congress Resources for the Study of Women’s History and Culture in the United States.
- Archival Sites for Women & Gender Studies.
- Arthur & Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America.
- Discovering American Women’s History Online.
- The Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony Papers Project Online.
- The Frederick Douglass Papers at the Library of Congress.
- Home Economics Archives, Cornell University.
- Pathfinder for Women’s History: Archives Library Information Center, U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
- Public Women, Private Lives.
- Studies in Scarlet: Marriage & Sexuality in the U.S. & the U.K., 1815 – 1914.
- Teaching With Documents: Woman Suffrage and the 19th Amendment.
- Votes for Women: Selections from the National American Woman Suffrage Association Collection 1848-1921.
- Women, Enterprise & Society: A Guide to Resources in the Business Manuscripts Collection at Baker Library.
- Women in America, 1820 – 1842.
- Women Working, 1800 – 1930.