Indexes and Databases
- Social services abstracts (-2011)Note: “This database provides bibliographic coverage of current research focused on social work, human services and related areas, including social welfare, social policy and community development. The database abstracts and indexes … serials publications and includes abstracts of journal articles and dissertations and citations to book reviews.
Description: PsycINFO® is an electronic bibliographic database providing abstracts and citations to the scholarly literature in the psychological, social, behavioral, and health sciences. The database includes material of relevance to psychologists and professionals in related fields such as psychiatry, management, business, education, social science, neuroscience, law, medicine, and social work. Updated weekly, PsycINFO® provides access to journal articles, books, chapters, and dissertations.
- PsycARTICLES (2001)Note: Provides full text access to articles from journals published by APA, the APA Educational Publishing Foundation, the Canadian Psychological Association and Hogrefe Publishing Group. Coverage is from 1894 to present.
- Note: Provides the full text of articles from journals covering topics such as behavioral characteristics, psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods.
- Note: Social sciences full text covers concepts, trends, opinions, theories, and methods from both applied and theoretical aspects of the social sciences. More than 350 key international, English-language periodicals. Indexing of periodicals provided from 1983-current, full text coverage starting 1995.
- Note: Abstracts and indexes the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. The database provides citations from 1952 to the present to journal articles, book reviews, books, book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers.
- Web of Science
Note: Includes a number of citation indexes including Social Sciences Citation Index, Book Citation Index, and Journal Citation Reports.
Note: PAIS (PUBLIC AFFAIRS INFORMATION SERVICE) is a bibliographic database of citations to public policy literature in books, journal articles and government documents. It includes materials published in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish . Coverage is from 1972 to date.
- Note: Indexes materials relating to the growth and development of children through the age of 21. Included are book reviews and abstracts from hundreds of journals, and a bibliography of thousands of technical reports, books, book chapters, theses and dissertations that cover the biomedical and social sciences worldwide.
Note: A web database for research that contains abstracts, tables of contents, and full text of articles in the physical sciences and engineering, life sciences, health sciences, and social sciences and humanities.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5
Note: Classification of mental disorders designed to facilitate more reliable diagnoses of these disorders
- Note: Abstracts in Social Gerontology includes bibliographic records covering essential areas related to social gerontology, including the psychology of aging, elder abuse, society and the elderly, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline.
- Note: An online database containing detailed summaries of publications about older adults and aging, including books, journal and magazine articles, research reports, dissertations, and videos.
- PubMed (1996]-)Note: Provides access to citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles back to the 1950s. Includes links to many sites providing full text articles and other related resources.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Encyclopedia of Social work
This new edition contains 400 articles which represent a thoroughly updated and expanded look at the entire field of social work. It covers all aspects of social work from practice/interventions, social environments, social conditions and challenges to social policy and history.
Encyclopedia of Psychology. 2000.
Eight volume encyclopedia published by Oxford University Press in conjunction with the American Psychological Association. Alphabetical arrangement by topic. Each entry has a bibliography. There is an index, a synoptic outline of contents, and a directory of contributors
X BF 31 E524 2000
The Social Work Dictionary. 2003.
Includes words, concepts, organizations, biographies, and historical events relevant to the profession.
X HV 12 B37 2003
Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Social Work. 2000.
One volume encyclopedia of terms and concepts in social work. Has index of names and subjects as well as a list of references.
HV12 B53 2000
Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America. 2005.
History of social welfare in Canada, Mexico, and the United States. Includes research guides, chronologies, and a lengthy bibliography.
X HV12 E497 2005
Biographical Dictionary of Social Welfare in America. 1986.
Includes substantial entries on important figures in social welfare from colonial period to recent times. Each entry also includes a reference list.
HV 27 B57 1987
Comprehensive Handbook of Social Work and Social Welfare. 2008.
Four volumes with each volume addressing a particular aspect of social work and social welfare.
HV40 C635 2008
County and City Data Book. 2007
Also available online
Provides census information for each county and for the larger cities in the United States.
X HA 202 A36
Statistical Abstract of the United States. 2015.
Standard one-volume compilation of statistics relating to the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
X HA 202 E78 2015 (Located at the Research Center Desk)
Professional Writing for the Human Services. 1993.
Addresses writing techniques and provides information about peer review, journal submissions, book proposals, and production procedures.
HV 41 P759 1993
American Association of State Social Work Boards study guide: a guide for candidates preparing for the AASSWB social work examination: Vols 2, 3, 4. 2004.
Gives information on the examination program and test-taking strategies. Also provides the examination content outline and a practice test.
X HV 40.52 S78 2004 v.2,3,4
An Author’s Guide to Social Work Journals. 2009.
Journals are arranged by subject category. Information provided about each journal includes editorial focus, circulation, frequency of publication, how to submit manuscripts, format of manuscripts, and review process.
XHV 85 A93 2009
Compiled by Patrick Leung and Monit Cheung. Includes Impact Factors, Five-Year Impact Factors, and H-indexes.
Effective Grant Writing and Program Evaluation for Human Service Professionals. 2009.
XHV41.2 Y838 2009
Resumes for Social Service Careers. 2007.
XHV10.5 V49 2007
Tests And Measures
Measures For Clinical Practice. 2007.
Instruments selected because they measure most of the common problems seen in clinical practice. Vol. 1 includes measures for couples, families, and children and Vol. 2 contains measures for adults with problems outside the context of the family.
X BF 176 C66 2007
Test Critiques. 1984-.
Lists psychological, educational, and business tests. Critiques include description of tests, practical applications and uses, technical aspects, and evaluative comments.
X BF 176 T419 V.1-11
Directory of Unpublished Experimental Mental Measures.
This nine volume set gives information on measures and scales that have been published in scholarly journals. It cites the journal where the measure can be found and also gives information about related research. It has author and subject indexes. The index in the eighth volume is a cumulative index for volumes 1-8.
X BF431 G624
Handbook of Psychiatric Measures. 2000
Provides information about copyrighted and non-copyrighted measures. Describes the properties and utility of the measures and gives references and suggested readings. Indicates whether the measures can be copied without obtaining permission or purchasing the measure.
X RC473 P78 A46 2000 (Located at the Research Center Desk)
Database created by University of Texas librarian lists approximately 12,000 tests available in 127 compilation volumes. Check our library catalog to see whether we own the relevant volume.
Provides information about NASW, the Code of Ethics, state NASW chapters, professional social work credentials, and publications. Gives views on many issues relevant to social work practice, including legislation.
Provides links to national organizations, global organizations, U.S. government organizations, conferences and meetings, newsgroups, listserves, schools of social work, and topics by subject.
Includes information about the organization and its programs and publications. Provides links to other social work associations and sites of interest.
Provides information on licensing and examinations. Has links to sites that show licensing requirements for each state