Native American Studies
This is a selective guide to library and other resources on Native Americans.
- America: History and Life
- Anthropology Plus
- Circumpolar Health Bibliographic Database
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Ethnographic Video Online
- FRANCIS (International Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Native American Health Database
- North American Indian Drama
- Social Sciences Full Text
- American Indian History. 2 vols. 2003.
- American Indian Religious Traditions: An Encyclopedia. 3 vols. 2005.
- Berg Fashion Library
- Chronology of Native North American History. 1994.
- Dictionary of Native American Literature. 1994.
- Dictionary of Native American Mythology. 1992.
- Encyclopedia of American Indian Contributions to the World: 15,000 Years of Inventions and Innovations. 2002.
- Encyclopedia of American Indian History. 4 vols. 2008.
- Encyclopedia of Native American Healing. 1996.
- The Encyclopedia of Native American Religions: An Introduction. 1992.
- Encyclopedia of North American Indians: Native American History, Culture, and Life from Paleo-Indians to the Present. 1996.
- Ethnic Groups of the Americas: An Encyclopedia. 2013.
- Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. 2 vols. 1907.
- Handbook of Middle American Indians. 16 vols. 1964-1976.
- Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols. [in progress] 1978 – .
- Handbook of South American Indians. 7 vols. 1946-1959.
- Historical Dictionary of Native American Movements. 2008.
- Indian Tribes of North America. 1979.
- Native America in the Twentieth Century: An Encyclopedia. 1994.
- Native American Education: A Reference Handbook. 2002.
- Native American Issues: A Reference Handbook. 2nd ed. 2005.
- Native Americans. 2002.
- The Native North American Almanac. 2nd ed. 2001.
- American National Biography.
- Biographical Dictionary of American Indian History to 1900. 2001.
- Distinguished Native American Spiritual Practitioners and Healers. 2002.
- Encyclopedia of Native American Biography: Six Hundred Life Stories of Important People from Powhatan to Wilma Mankiller. 1997.
- Native American Women: A Biographical Dictionary. 2nd ed. 2001.
- Native Americans Today: A Biographical Dictionary. 2010.
- Notable Native Americans. 1995.
- American Indian and Alaska Native Data and Links.
- American Indian Health.
- Statistical Record of Native North Americans. 2nd ed. 1995.
- American Indian Women: A Guide to Research. 1991.
- Bibliography of Native American Bibliographies. 2004.
- The Columbia Guide to American Indians of the Northeast. 2001.
- Ethnographic Bibliography of North America. 4th ed. 1975.
- The Indians of New England: A Critical Bibliography. 1982.
- Native North American Shamanism: An Annotated Bibliography. 1998.
Human Relations Area Files (HRAF)
The Human Relations Area Files (HRAF) are a microfiche collection of books, articles, and unpublished papers on more than 300 ethnic, religious, cultural, and national groups worldwide. Materials are arranged according to a classification system based on manuals cited below. There is a separate research guide on HRAF.
- Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. 1981.
- Many Nations: A Library of Congress Resource Guide for the Study of Indian and Alaska Native Peoples of the United States. 1996.
- Aboriginal Canada Portal
- American Indian Health
- American Indian History and Culture, Encyclopedia Smithsonian
- American Indians of the Pacific Northwest
- American Native Press Archives
- Association for the Study of American Indian Literature (ASAIL)
- BIA: Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Department of the Interior
- Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 200
- C. Szwedzicki: The North American Indian Works
- Center for Native American Health, University of New Mexico
- Doris Duke Collection of American Indian Oral History
- Edward S. Curtis’s The North American Indian
- George Catlin: The Printed Works
- Huntington Free Library Native American Collection
- Images of Native Americans, Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley
- Index of Native American Resources on the Internet
- Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties
- Indian Land Cessions in the United States, 1784 – 1894
- Indian Nation
- The Invasion of America
- McKenney & Hall: History of the Indian Tribes of North America
- National NAGPRA
- Native American Authors: Internet Public Library
- Native American Constitution and Law Digitization Project
- Native American Documents Project
- Native American Ethnobotany
- Native American Health
- Native American Images, American Philosophical Society.
- Native Americans and the Environment
- Repatriation Office, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution