Native American Studies
This is a selective guide to library and other resources on Native Americans.
Check out our new subscription to eHRAF World Cultures.
- America: History and Life
- Anthropology Plus
- Circumpolar Health Bibliographic Database
- eHRAF World Cultures
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Ethnographic Video Online
- FRANCIS (International Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Native American Health Database
- North American Indian Drama
- Social Sciences Full Text
- American Indian History. 2 vols. 2003.
- American Indian Religious Traditions: An Encyclopedia. 3 vols. 2005.
- Berg Fashion Library
- Chronology of Native North American History. 1994.
- Dictionary of Native American Literature. 1994.
- Dictionary of Native American Mythology. 1992.
- Encyclopedia of American Indian Contributions to the World: 15,000 Years of Inventions and Innovations. 2002.
- Encyclopedia of American Indian History. 4 vols. 2008.
- Encyclopedia of Native American Healing. 1996.
- The Encyclopedia of Native American Religions: An Introduction. 1992.
- Encyclopedia of North American Indians: Native American History, Culture, and Life from Paleo-Indians to the Present. 1996.
- Ethnic Groups of the Americas: An Encyclopedia. 2013.
- Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. 2 vols. 1907.
- Handbook of Middle American Indians. 16 vols. 1964-1976.
- Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols. [in progress] 1978 – .
- Handbook of South American Indians. 7 vols. 1946-1959.
- Historical Dictionary of Native American Movements. 2008.
- Indian Tribes of North America. 1979.
- Native America in the Twentieth Century: An Encyclopedia. 1994.
- Native American Education: A Reference Handbook. 2002.
- Native American Issues: A Reference Handbook. 2nd ed. 2005.
- Native Americans. 2002.
- The Native North American Almanac. 2nd ed. 2001.
- American National Biography.
- Biographical Dictionary of American Indian History to 1900. 2001.
- Distinguished Native American Spiritual Practitioners and Healers. 2002.
- Encyclopedia of Native American Biography: Six Hundred Life Stories of Important People from Powhatan to Wilma Mankiller. 1997.
- Native American Women: A Biographical Dictionary. 2nd ed. 2001.
- Native Americans Today: A Biographical Dictionary. 2010.
- Notable Native Americans. 1995.
- American Indian and Alaska Native Data and Links.
- American Indian Health.
- Statistical Record of Native North Americans. 2nd ed. 1995.
- American Indian Women: A Guide to Research. 1991.
- Bibliography of Native American Bibliographies. 2004.
- The Columbia Guide to American Indians of the Northeast. 2001.
- Ethnographic Bibliography of North America. 4th ed. 1975.
- The Indians of New England: A Critical Bibliography. 1982.
- Native North American Shamanism: An Annotated Bibliography. 1998.
Human Relations Area Files (HRAF)
We now have a subscription to eHRAF World Cultures.
If the cultural group you are looking for is not in eHRAF World Cultures, be sure to check the Human Relations Area Files (HRAF) microfiche collection of books, articles, and unpublished papers on more than 300 ethnic, religious, cultural, and national groups worldwide. Materials are arranged according to a classification system based on manuals cited below. There is a separate research guide on HRAF.
- Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. 1981.
- Many Nations: A Library of Congress Resource Guide for the Study of Indian and Alaska Native Peoples of the United States. 1996.
- Aboriginal Canada Portal
- American Indian Health
- American Indian History and Culture, Encyclopedia Smithsonian
- American Indians of the Pacific Northwest
- American Native Press Archives
- Association for the Study of American Indian Literature (ASAIL)
- BIA: Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Department of the Interior
- Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 200
- C. Szwedzicki: The North American Indian Works
- Center for Native American Health, University of New Mexico
- Doris Duke Collection of American Indian Oral History
- Edward S. Curtis’s The North American Indian
- George Catlin: The Printed Works
- Huntington Free Library Native American Collection
- Images of Native Americans, Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley
- Index of Native American Resources on the Internet
- Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties
- Indian Land Cessions in the United States, 1784 – 1894
- Indian Nation
- The Invasion of America
- McKenney & Hall: History of the Indian Tribes of North America
- National NAGPRA
- Native American Authors: Internet Public Library
- Native American Constitution and Law Digitization Project
- Native American Documents Project
- Native American Ethnobotany
- Native American Health
- Native American Images, American Philosophical Society.
- Native Americans and the Environment
- Repatriation Office, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution