Museums and Museum Studies
“Museum studies, sometimes called museology, is the field that encompasses the ideas and issues involved in the museum profession, from the practical, day-to-day skills needed to operate a museum to theories on the societal role of museums.” Smithsonian
Click on images for sources.
Definitions and Overviews
in Grove Art Online
in Oxford Reference Online. Quick search keyword “museums.” You will retrieve results for all the Oxford encyclopedias and dictionaries that have entries about museums. You can reorder the results by category, alphabetically, and by subject. You also can Quick search a particular museum.
in Oxford Reference Online (David Rodgers “museums”The Oxford Companion to Western Art. Ed. Hugh Brigstocke. Oxford University Press, 2001. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press.Boston University.12 November 2009<http://www.oxfordreference.com/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t118.e1834>)
in Oxford Reference Online (Philip Karl Lundeberg “Museums, Military History” The Oxford Companion to American Military History. John Whiteclay Chambers II, ed., Oxford University Press 1999. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press. Boston University.12 November 2009<http://www.oxfordreference.com/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t126.e0595>
in Quentin Bajac”museums of photography”The Oxford Companion to the Photograph. Ed. Robin Lenman. Oxford University Press 2005. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press.Boston University.26 May 2010<http://www.oxfordreference.com/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t207.e1067>
“Museums” (science in museums)
in Oxford Reference Online (Priska Gisler”museums”Science, Technology, and Society. Ed. Sal Restivo. Oxford University Press 2005. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press.Boston University.12 November 2009<http://www.oxfordreference.com/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t210.e71>
in Oxford Reference Online. Results can be sorted by museum type or reference type (dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.). Emphasis on British institutions.
Museums: Their History and Their Uses
with a bibliography and list of museums in the United Kingdom. David Murray, 2 vols. Originally published 1904. Mugar AM 5 M9 2000 and online: Volume I, Volume II, and Volume III via the Internet Archive.
American Association of Museums. Sample questions:
- How many museums are there in the United States?
- Is there a directory or list of museums in the United States and around the world?
- Where can I get a list of different types of museums, such as maritime museums, children’s museums, or culturally-specific museums?
American Association of Museums.
Museum Studies Guides
Companion to Museum Studies. Sharon MacDonald. Print: Mugar Memorial Library Reserves AM7 .C59 2006
Museum Studies: An Anthology of Contexts. Bettina Messias Carbonell. AM7 .M874 2004
Smithsonian. This page provides links to resources pertaining to museum studies: Smithsonian Institution resources, conservation and preservation, education, museum foundation and grant information, organizations, professional resources, and technology.
Library Catalog subjects
To search by subject in Boston University Library Search (BULS), click on Browse Search.
Keyguide to Information Sources in Museum Studies.
Peter Woodhead, 2nd ed. Major sections cover an overview of museum studies and its literature, a bibliographical listing of sources of information, and a list of selected organizations. Mugar AM5 E37 1994.
Museum: A Reference Guide.
Edited by Michael Steven Shapiro.Mugar Library AM5 .M92 1990.
Green Museum: A Primer on Environmental Practice.
Sarah Brophy and Elizaabeth Wylie. Mugar AM7.B765 2008
Managing Museums and Galleries.
Michael Fopp. 1997.
Manual of museum exhibitiions.
Barry Lord, ed. Mugar AM 151 .M34 2002.
Manual of museum management.
Gail Dexter Lord and Barry Lord. 2nd ed. Mugar Reference X AM121 .L66 2009.
Museum Basics. Third Edition.
Timothy Ambrose and Crispin Paine. Mugar AM5.A43 2012.
Museum educator’s manual: educators share successful techniques.
Anna Johnson. Mugar AM7 .M866 2009.
Definitions of over 3,300 terms and longer articles on subjects such as major movements and periods. Artists and titles of works appear within articles but are not listed as separate terms in the index. Appendices include instructions for searching and citing ArtLex, pronunciation, and links to other resources.
by IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions), Section for Art Libraries. “English with Indexes in Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish, 2nd revised and enlarged edition 1996.” Definitions and translations of bibliographer, archivist, antiquarian, curator, and librarian terminology relating to art.
Pronunciation Dictionary of Artists’ Names. Debra Edelstein, 3rd rev. ed. Art Institute of Chicago. Western European, North and South American, and Australian artists representing all periods. Mugar Reference X N 40 K3 1993
Heritage, Museums and Galleries: An Introductory Reader.
Ed. Gerard Corsane. Previously published essays.
Mugar AM 7 H465 2005
Museum origins : readings in early museum history and philosophy.
Edited by Hugh H. Genoways and Mary Anne Andrei. Mugar AM7 .M8726 2008.
Museums in motion : an introduction to the history and functions of museums.
Edward P. Alexander and Mary Alexander. 2nd ed. Mugar AM5 .A38 2008.
- Biography and Genealogy Master Index. Covers contemporary and historical people throughout the world. Provides citations to sources (journal articles, encyclopedias, etc.) of the biographies.
- Biography in Context. Gale. May search by known name or by occupation, e.g., museum curator, museum director.
- Dictionary of Art Historians: A Biographical Dictionary of Historians, Museum Directors and Scholars of Art. Lee Sorensen, Duke University Libraries. Searchable index of “art historians mentioned in major art historiographies.” Includes full name, date and city of birth, date and city of death, principal country of career, brief description of methodology or accomplishments, and bibliography of major works. Updated continuously.
- CAA Directory of Graduate Programs in Art History. Eds. Alexandra Gershuny, Erika Suffern, Eve Sinaiko. “guide to more than 200 schools that offer M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in art history, studio art, museum studies, conservation, and related areas. Complete information is provided about each program, with details on admission requirements, student body, faculty, curriculum, library resources, tuition, fellowships and financial aid, campus housing, and much more. Includes geographic, area, and faculty indices.” Mugar Reference X N385.G73 2011
- Museum Contributors to the ARTstor Digital Library
- MassHome Directory of Museums in Massachusetts.
- Museums of the World: museum.com Museums worldwide may announce their exhibits on this site. Access by search engine or by category. All museum types included. Includes the latest museum news worldwide and a different museum featured each day.
- MuseumsUSA. Search and browse museums, events, conferences, associations, and vendors.
- Official Museum Directory. American Association of Museums. 2 vols. American museums only. Arranged by state with indexes to personnel, by category (e.g., history), and by collection (e.g., geologica). Brief entries of informational data. Vol. 2 covers products and services. Mugar Reference X AM 10 A204 2010.
- Resources in Art History for Graduate Students: A Newsletter of Fellowships and other Opportunities for Art History Graduate Students. Adrienne DeAngelis. Grants, fellowships, internships, and other information.
- University and College Museums, Galleries, and Related Facilities: A Descriptive Directory. Victor Danilov. United States only. Opening chapters on campus museums, historical overview, mission, types of institutions, governance, funding, marketing, and collections and research. Directory arranged by type from agriculture to zoology. Mugar AM 11 D35 1996
- Voice of the Shuttle: Web Page for Museums, Galleries, Institutes, & Centers. Alan Liu, University of California, Santa Barbara. See also Technological Analyses of Art. Includes links to Conservation, Preservation, and Restoration; Provenance Research; and Technological Imaging and Analysis.
Collectors and Collecting
American Art Collectors. Wikipedia. List with links to biographical information.
Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America. Includes an Interactive Timeline – Art Collecting in America by Decade (1770-2010). The Frick Art Reference Library, Center for the History of Collecting.
Art Collectors by Nationality. Wikipedia.
Collecting and Provenance Research. Getty Research Institute.
Journal of the History of Collections Online from 1996. In print on shelf from 1989 to 2008 at Mugar Memorial Library AM221 .J68
Boston University Programs
Faculty, program, courses, and resources.
Faculty, courses, programs, resources, grants, Art Gallery, department news, and events.
Metropolitan College. Overview, program requirements, course descriptions, and admission information.
Faculty; programs: studio training, drawing, painting, sculpture, graphics, design, and art education; resources; news and events.
Archives & Museum Informatics: Conferences, Consulting, Publishing and Training
for Cultural Heritage Professionals. Daniel Bearman and Jennifer Trant, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Site includes: Museums and the Web and ICHIM (International Cultural Heritage Informatics).
Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-2013 Edition. Department of Labor Statistics. US Department of Labor.
Museum Studies. Smithsonian.
Adopted by the College Art Association Board of Directors, October 24, 2004; revised October 25, 2009.
Job HeadQuarters for Museum Careers. American Association of Museums.
Museum careers: a practical guide for students and novices.
N. Elizabeth Schlatter.
Mugar Library AM7 .S27 2008
Lists jobs and provides other information.
National Park Service.
Professional Associations and Organizations
- American Alliance of Museums: AAM: formerly American Association of Museums.”AAM’s mission is to enhance the value of museums to their communities through leadership, advocacy, and service.” Annual Report, 2011: U.S. Museums Continue to Serve Despite Stress.”
- AAM Ethics, Standards, and Best Practices.
- AAMD: American Association of Museum Directors.” The purpose of the Association of Art Museum Directors is to support its members in increasing the contribution of art museums to society.”
- ICOM: International Council of Museums.” ICOM is the international organisation of museums and museum professionals which is committed to the conservation, continuation and communication to society of the world’s natural and cultural heritage, present and future, tangible and intangible.”
- ICOM Code of Ethics for Museums. Adopted in 1986 and revised in 2004.
- IMLS: Institute of Museum and Library Services. Washington, D.C. “… the primary source of federal support for the nation’s 123,000 libraries and 17,500 museums. The Institute’s mission is to create strong libraries and museums that connect people to information and ideas. The Institute works at the national level and in coordination with state and local organizations to sustain heritage, culture, and knowledge; enhance learning and innovation; and support professional development.” Museums, Libraries, and 21st Century Skills, report includes case studies and a self-assesment tool.
Electronic Journals, Magazines, and Newspapers
For complete list, go to eJournals A-Z. For a list of journals with “museum” in their titles, type “museum” in the search box and check off “contains.” For additional information on electronic journals, open Guide Index and click on “Indexes to Periodicals and Dissertations.”
- Boston Globe (Historical) 1872-1979
- Chicago Tribune (Historical) 1849-1987
- Historical Newspapers of the New York Times 1851-2006
- Lexis-Nexis Universes
- Academic Universe is a database of current (generally from the mid-1980’s on) international newspapers and magazines that can be searched for art news in general, exhibition announcements and critiques, interviews with artists and people in the art world, book reviews, auctions, museums, and obituaries.
- Congressional Universe tracks legislation such as the National Women’s History Museum Act of 2009 (If link is timed out, redo search via copy/paste).
- Statistical Universe contains government and private reports that may include statistics pertaining to the arts and artists and topics such as museum attendance. International.
- Conservation Science in Cultural Heritage 2000-Dipartimento di Storie e Metodi per la Conservazione dei Beni Culturali (Di.S.Me.C.) Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna (Sede di Ravenna)
- Crossings: Electronic Journal of Art and Technology 2001-University of Dublin.
- Directory of Open Access [Electronic] Journals These journals may be accessed for free on the Web. Listed here are peer-reviewed titles published by universities and academic associations. To find additional open access titles, use Ulrich’s Periodical Directory, advanced search.
- Estetica: revista de arte y estetica contemporanea 2002-Universidad de los Andes, Merida, Venezuela
- Journal of Curatorial Studies
- Journal of the History of Collections
- JSTOR (Journal Storage) Archive of mainly academic journals beginning with their first volumes/issues.
- Museum and Society 2003-University of Leicester, Department of Museum Studies
- Indexed in: biab online: the british & irish archaeological bibliography
- Museum International.”The MUSEUM International archives are available in three languages: English (1948-1999), French (1948-1999) and Spanish (1980-2000). The Spanish eJournal is available from 2002 until today.” Use the search box for keyword searching. Museum International, 1997–, is available via BU subscription.
- Museum Management and Curatorship, 1990-current. Formerly known as the International Journal of Museum Management and Curatorship, 1982-1989. Selected articles available for free on the journal website: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/journal.asp?issn=0964-7775&linktype=offers
- 19th-Century Art Worldwide: A Journal of Nineteenth-Century Visual Culture 2002-Association of Historians of Nineteenth-Century Art (AHNCA), University of Maryland.
- Project Muse – About 400 scholarly full-text journals covering humanities and social sciences.
Database Indexes to Periodical Articles, Books, and Dissertations
Abstracts of International Conservation Literature, 1932-. Indexes journals covering the “management and conservation of international material cultural heritage — broadly interpreted to include works of art, cultural objects, museum collections, archives and library materials, architecture, historic sites, and archaeology.” Getty Conservation Institute. Replaces the print version.
Exhibition Catalogues and Archives
Art Exhibition Catalogues on Microfiche, University of California, Santa Barbara, Arts Library. Microfiche set of published catalogues of exhibitions held in North American and European museums and galleries mainly in the 19th and 20th centuries. Mugar Memorial Library has many but not all of the 3,000 catalogues on microfiche. Microfiche are filed by a numerical code (1.031.004 = sale number, museum or gallery number, exhibition title number) printed on the right side of the fiche header. Mugar Micro Mfiche. Catalogues are retrieved using the indexes listed below:
Index to Art Exhibition Catalogues on Microfiche, Chadwyck-Healey Ltd. The main index is arranged alphabetically by keyword from “abstracte” to “zanetti-zilla.” Also subject, gallery/museum, and gallery/museum number indexes.
Mugar Micro Reference X N 4390 I 52
Subject Index to Art Exhibition Catalogues on Microfiche, University of California, Santa Barbara, Arts Library, 1984. Indexes the 45,000 exhibition catalogues in the UCSB collection by artist, style or movement, medium, subject, collection, then by country, city, century, specific dates. Separate index of museums and galleries. Supplements through 1989. The microfiche are filed under “Art Catalogs.” NOTE: You can find out what catalogs are in the set by searching the University of California Santa Barbara library catalog. Choose Search Type: Call Number begins with and enter AEC.
Mugar Micro Mfiche.
- Art Institute of Chicago Past Exhibitions. 2000 to the present.
- Brooklyn Museum Exhibitions. 2,428 exhibitions from the 1840’s to the present. Many of the entries include image links to installations.
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco: deYoung Previous Exhibitions. 1996 to the present.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art Exhibition Archive. 1999 to the present. Images and online resources related to each exhibition. Searchable by keyword.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Exhibitions On View, Upcoming, Past. 1996 to the present.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Exhibitions. Exhibition database.
- National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C.) Exhibitions List. 1941 through 2007. Search by year or by keyword. Descriptions
Worldwide Bibliography of Art Exhibition Catalogues, 1963-1987, 3 vols. Indexes the Worldwide Art Catalogue Bulletin International Review of Art Exhibition Catalogues by geography, media, topic, monograph (artist’s name), and title.Mugar Storage N 4396 W67 1992. The searchable Worldwide database contains over 37,000 exhibition and collection catalog titles published since the early 1960’s. Artist Index.
Sheridan Libraries, Johns Hopkins University.