Islamic Art and Architecture
Subject headings (library catalog)
- Art, Islamic
- Architecture, Islamic
- Civilization, Islamic
- Islamic Calligraphy
- Decoration and Ornament, Islamic
- Illumination of Books and Manuscripts, Islamic
- Islamic Antiquities
- Islamic Literature
- Miniature Painting, Islamic
- Painting, Islamic
Image: The Sculptor Farhad Brought before the Princess Shirin, from a manuscript of Khusraw and Shirin by Nizami (d. 1209). Smithsonian. Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. Click for description.
Database Indexes to Journal Articles, Books, and Dissertations
(For a complete list of databases, see Databases A-Z.)
ABIA South and Southeast Asian Art and Archaeology Index, 1996–.
International Institute for Asian Studies. Covers archaeology (pre- and proto-history), historical archaeology, ancient art history, modern art history, material culture, epigraphy and palaeography, numismatics and sigillography. Indexes monographs, articles in monographs, articles in periodicals, and unpublished PhD theses. Geographical areas include South Asia and Southeast Asia, and regions culturally related to these areas, for example: Afghanistan, Uzbekistan,Tajikistan and Tibet as related to South Asia; South China and the Pacific as related to Southeast Asia.
AATA Getty (Art and Archaeology Technical Abstracts), 1932–.
“…a comprehensive database of over 134,000 abstracts of literature related to the preservation and conservation of material cultural heritage. AATA now includes selected subject-specific bibliographies produced as part of the Getty Conservation Institute’s own conservation and scientific research projects or as part of specific collaborative projects in which the Institute is involved.”
Anthropology Plus, late 19th century–.
Indexes articles on archaeology, art history, religious studies, etc.
Avery index to architectural periodicals (Online)
Indexes articles “…on subjects such as the history and practice of architecture, landscape architecture, city planning, historic preservation, and interior design and decoration.”
Muqarnas (subtitle varies: An annual of Islamic art and architecture, -2009; An annual of the visual cultures of the Islamic world, 2010-) Published by the Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture, 1983–. Articles indexed in Index Islamicus.
Mugar Library N6260 .M83 (vols. 24-31 2007-2014) Some volumes available online.
Architecture of the Islamic World: Its History and Social Meaning
with a complete survey of key monuments and 758 illustrations, 112 in color. Edited by George Michell.
Mugar Library NA380 .A78 1995.
Art and architecture of Islam, 650-1250. Richard Ettinghausen and Oleg Grabar.
Mugar Library N6260 .E79 1994
Art and architecture of Islam, 1250-1800. Sheila S. Blair.
Mugar Reserves N6260 .B56 1994
Dreaming of Paradise
Islamic art from the Collection of the Museum of Ethnology, Rotterdam, compiled by Charlotte Huygens. Published on the occasion of an exhibition held Dec. 18, 1993-Jan. 7, 1996 at the Museum of Ethnology, Rotterdam, Netherlands. Mugar Folio N6264.N4 R68 1993.
Early Islamic art, 650-1100. Oleg Grabar.
Mugar Library N6260 .G688 2005.
Early Muslim architecture. K.A.C. Creswell.v. 1. Umayyads, A.D. 622-750. 2 pts.–v. 2. Early Abbasids Umayyads of Cordova Aghlabids, Tulunids, and Samanids, A.D. 751-905.
Mugar Folio NA381 .C72 1979
Formation of Islamic art. Oleg Grabar.
Mugar Library N6260 .G69 1987.
Introduction to Islamic Archaeology. Marcus Milwright.
Mugar Library DS56 .M527 2010.
Islam and Muslim Art. Alexandre Papadopoulo.
Mugar Folio N6260 .P3613 1979.
Islamic art. Barbara Brend.
Mugar Library N6250 .B76 1991.
Mugar: Reserves N6260 .B56 1994.
“Islamic art“, article in Grove Art Online. BU
Islamic art and architecture, 650-1250. Richard Ettinghausen.
Mugar Library N6260 .E79 2001.
Islamic Art Collections. An International Survey. Ed. Karin Adahl and Mikael Ahlund.
Mugar Reference X N6260 2000
Oxford Studies in Islamic Art (topics and call numbers vary)
Arab and Islamic Studies Research Guide. Boston University Libraries.
Bibliography of the architecture, arts, and crafts of Islam to 1st Jan. 1960. K.A.C. Creswell.
Mugar Reference X Z5956.I8 C74
Index Islamicus 1665-1905. a bibliography of articles on Islamic subjects in periodicals and other collective publications, compiled by W.H. Behn.
Mugar Reference X Z7835.M6 B43 1989.
Reference Tools in Islamic Art and Architecture. Andras Riedlmayer. Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture. Fine Arts Library. Harvard University.
New Islamic Dynasties: a chronological and genealogical manual.
Clifford Edmund Bosworth, Enl. and updated ed.
Mugar Storage DS35.627 .B67 1996.
Encyclopedia of Arab American Artists. Fayeq S. Oweis. Mugar
Reference X N6538.A73 O94 2008
Boston University Programs
Click on courses for Islamic archaeology listings.
Institute for the Study of Muslim Societies and Civilizations.
“The Institute will act as an interdisciplinary meeting point for scholars and researchers in diverse fields – ranging from anthropology, history, religion, politics, literature, language, and the arts – across the regions in which Muslims live – from the Americas to Europe, the Middle East, South and Southeast Asia. Through this scholarship the institute seeks to protect and preserve the heritage of the Muslim world.”
- Abdul-Hamid II Collection, Prints and Photographs Online, Library of Congress. “Ottoman Empire during the reign of one of its last sultans, Abdul-Hamid II. The 1,819 photographs in 51 large-format albums date from about 1880 to 1893.”
- Arabic Calligraphy. Islamic Arts and Architecture Organization
- ArchNet Digital Library. “… an international online community for architects, planners, urban designers, landscape architects, conservationists, and scholars, with a focus on Muslim cultures and civilisations.” Includes a digital library and M.I.T. course syllabi.
- Arts of the Islamic World, Smithsonian: Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Casselman Archive of Islamic and Mudejar Architecture in Spain. University of Wisconsin Digital Collections.
- Chester Beatty Library (Dublin): Islamic Collections. Mughal miniatures.
- Courtauld Institute of Art, Islamic Art and Architecture. Use Quicksearch to find images.
- Creswell Archive: the Creswell Photographic Archive. Ashmolean Museum. Architecture of the Islamic world from Spain to Iraq, 7th-18th centuries.
- Islamic Art: Art History Resources on the Web. Christopher Witcombe, Sweet Briar College, VA
- Islamic Art Collection, Metropolitan Museum of Art (NY)
- Islamic Art at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Islamic Ceramic Museum, Palace of Prince Amru Ibrahim, Gezira, Zamalek, Egypt
- Middle East Photograph Archive, University of Chicago Library
- New Department of Islamic Art, Musee du Louvre. Opening September 22, 2012.
- Oxford Art Online: Islamic Art BU
- Thais: Islamic Architecture. Browse by location, subject, or period.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Chicago Online Bibliography of Mamluk Studies, University of Chicago Library.
- Dictionary of Islamic Architecture. Andrew Petersen. Via ArchNet. In print: Mugar NA380 .P46 1996.
- Encyclopaedia of Islam Online. Full text of The Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, 2006, in English. Volumes I-XI and Supplement (Volume XII).
- Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures. “An interdisciplinary, trans-historical, and global project embracing women and Islamic cultures in every region where there have been significant Muslim populations. It aims to cover every topic for which there is significant research, examining these regions from the period just before the rise of Islam to the present.” Scan Supplements. For art, see v. 5. Practices, interpretations and representations.
- Grove Encyclopedia of Islamic Art and Architecture BU
- “Islamic art.” Article in Grove Art Online. BU
- Islamic Art Network: Technical Glossary. From “Abbasids (749-1258 A.D.)” to “Zulla.”
- Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World. Edited by John L. Esposito. Mugar Reference X DS35.53 .O95 1995 v.1-4.
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History: Islamic. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
- Historians of Islamic Art Association
Symbols and Iconography
Iconography of Islamic Art: Studies in Honour of Robert Hillenbrand.
Edited by Bernard O’Kane.
Mugar Library N6260 .I32 2005.
Image and Meaning in Islamic Art.
Edited by Robert Hillenbrand.
Mugar Library N6260 .I43 2005.
“Symbols and Signs in Islamic Architecture.” Oleg Grabar. In Architecture as Symbol and Self-Identity,
Jonathan G. Katz (ed).1980.
Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center Archives Frye 115.
Mugar Memorial Library