About This Guide
This guide presents the resources the education librarian considers to be the most important academic databases to search, the leading journals to follow, and so forth. You’ll also find some tips to help you evaluate sources, organize your work, and accomplish your literature review.
If you are new to this topic, you may want to begin by finding background information through an encyclopedia such as Wikipedia or Britannica Online, though in most cases it is not appropriate to cite these in a college-level paper. Anyone can contribute content in Wikipedia – so watch out for biased viewpoints, incomplete or simply incorrect material.
Use these databases to discover articles, books, and other literature on your topic. Note that if you come across a citation without full text attached, do not assume the library has no access. Learn this nearly foolproof way to Get the Full Text of an Article.
BU Libraries Search
Our Search represents by far the most comprehensive grouping of resources we’ve ever been able to provide. You can find extensive search tips on our site, build an eShelf, and export citations to RefWorks.
Off-campus users need to set two “Scholar Preferences” to take advantage of library subscriptions: type “Boston University” in Library Links and also choose RefWorks next to Bibliography Manager.
Other important databases:
Academic search premier
Child Development and Adolescent Studies
EdITLib Education and Information Technology
Education Full Text
Mental Measurements Yearbook and Tests In Print
ProQuest Dissertation and Theses
ProQuest statistical insight
The best way to discover articles is to search databases (try Search) – you will be searching millions of records at once. But following journal literature periodically is still a very important aspect of scholarship. Depending on the provider, you may be able to set up Table of Contents alerts, save personalized searches, or even contribute to the editorial process.
Find each title below through our Search. The following journals are leading in this field.
American Educational Research Journal
Australian Educational Researcher
British Educational Research Journal
Educational Research Quarterly
International Journal of Educational Research
Issues in Educational Research
Review of Educational Research
Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research
Discovering our print books and eBooks can be done through Search. Additionally, for more comprehensive literature reviews I suggest going beyond what BU already owns by using WorldCat. Current members of the BU community can borrow books that we don’t own through our interlibrary borrowing services. Other important book tools include the Internet Archive, Google Books, and of course Amazon.com.
- Action Research in Education
- Education — Research
- Education — Research — Evaluation
- Education — Research — Methodology
- Qualitative Research
- Social Sciences — Research
- Social Sciences — Research — Methodology
Selected List of Recent Titles
Action Research Guidebook : A Four-Stage Process for Educators and School Teams
Education LB1028.24 .S33 2011
Educational Research : Quantitative, Qualitative, and Mixed Approaches
Education Reference LB1028 .J59 2012
Ethics in Qualitative Research : Controversies and Contexts
Mugar H62 .H2336 2012
Handbook of Research on Learning and Instruction
Mugar LB1060 .H34575 2011
Integrating Teaching, Learning, and Action Research: Enhancing Instruction in the K-12 Classroom
Education LB1028.24 .S87 2010
Methods Matter : Improving Causal Inference in Educational and Social Science Research
Mugar LB1028 .M86 2011
The Qualitative Dissertation: A Guide for Students and Faculty
Education Reference LB2369 .P48 2009
A Realist Approach for Qualitative Research
Mugar H62 .M324 2012
Researching Education : Data, Methods, and Theory in Educational Enquiry
Mugar LB1028 .S343 2011
The Sage Handbook for Research in Education : Pursuing Ideas as the Keystone of Exemplary Inquiry
Mugar LB1028 .S14 2011
The Sage Handbook of Interview Research : The Complexity of the Craft
Mugar H61.28 .H36 2012
A Tale of Two Cultures : Qualitative and Quantitative Research in the Social Sciences
Mugar JA86 .G56 2012
Virtual Knowledge : Experimenting in the Humanities and the Social Sciences
Mugar AZ195 .V57 2013
U.S. Government Data Sources
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- National Center for Health Statistics
- Statistical Abstracts of the United States
- U.S. Census Bureau
- United States Department of Education – Research & Statistics
- Institute of Education Sciences (IES)
- What Works Clearing House
- Doing What Works
- Evidence Based Practice
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
- Condition of Education
- Digest of Education Statistics
- NCES Electronic Catalog
- NCES Survey and Program Areas
- Projections of Education Statistics
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
Non U.S. Government Produced Data Sources
- American Statistics Index Mugar Reference Z7554.U5 A46 (2009-2011+) Also online via Lexis Nexis Statistical
- Eurostat Statistical Office of the European Communities. Gathers and analyses figures from the different European statistics offices to provide comparable data to the European Institutions so they can implement and analyze Community policies.
- Eurydice An information network about education in Europe, including a database about European school systems.
- Index to International Statistics Mugar Reference Z7552 .I53 (2010-2011+) Also online via Lexis Nexis Statisitical
- Population Reference Bureau Worldwide data and analyses about population and health
- Social Science Data Analysis Network Demographic Media about U.S. Census data (e.g., DataCounts).
- Source OECD OECD’s Online Library of Statistical Databases, Books and Periodicals. See Books on Education.
- American Education Research Association
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- Center for Applied Linguistics
- Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement (CIERA)
- Center for the Study of Teaching and Policy (CTP)
- Common Core of Data: Information on Public Schools and School Districts in the United States
- Consortium for Policy Research in Education
- Consortium on Chicago School Research
- National Center on the Gifted and Talented (NRC/GT)
- National Research & Development Center on English Learning & Achievement (CELA)
- Wisconsin Center for Education Research