Bloomberg Essentials Online Training Program
The Frederick S. Pardee Management Library currently provides students access to the Bloomberg Essentials Program at Boston University. The Bloomberg Essentials Online Training program is designed to provide users with an introduction to the Bloomberg Professional Service. Four Core videos will provide users with the basic Bloomberg functionality and supplemental Market Sector videos will provide users with an introduction to the major market fundamentals.
- Program enrollment: To sign up for the program you must register with Pardee Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prerequisite/requirements: Participation or enrollment in Portfolio Finance, EMBA, Humphrey Fellowship or doctoral program, MBA students, Mathematical Finance students, faculty, and qualified Finance major undergraduates.
- Charge: This program is free of charge to BU students.
- Program Contact: Kathleen Berger (email@example.com), 617-353-4312, Monday – Friday 9-5 or Farha Hasan (firstname.lastname@example.org), 617-353-4304, Tuesday 11-8, Wednesday 11-8 and Sunday 12-8. If you need immediate assistance contact Mary Monaco (email@example.com) or Basilio Serna (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Pardee Services Desk, 617-353-4304.
- Time: Students can work on the program at their own pace. Program participants must sign up to book the Bloomberg terminal and can do so up to one week in advance by e-mailing email@example.com or at the Pardee Services Desk. Program participants can book one 1 hour session per day.
- Library Hours: Be sure to check library hours before you drop in. If you come in before or after the Reference Services hours, remember to consult the sign up sheet located next to the Bloomberg terminal.
Bloomberg User ID & Equipment
- Bloomberg User ID: You must create your own Bloomberg user ID and login. To do so from the Bloomberg terminal, click on Create a new login on the front page. You will need to either receive a text message or an automated call during this process to validate your user name and id, so please have a cell phone with you.
- Equipment: We have a head set at the Pardee Library Services Desk, but you are also welcome to use your own head set.
- This program consists of eight training videos which five courses must be completed in order to receive the Acknowledgement of Completion (4 Core videos and 1 video in any one of the four market sector designations). There are four Bloomberg Core Videos (Getting Started, Bloomberg News, Market Monitors and Launch Pad and API – Bloomberg Data in Excel) and four Bloomberg Market Sector Videos (Equity Essentials, Fixed Income Essentials, FX Essentials and Commodity Essentials). In order to earn an Acknowledgement of Completion, users must take the Core Exam along with any one of the Market Sector Exams and earn a grade of 75% or better on each of the exams.
- Training videos are viewed from the Bloomberg terminal located in the Pardee Library through the function BESS <GO> or by typing Bloomberg Essentials Online Training in the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Choose the training video that you want to view. Training videos are progressive and should be taken in order. Clicking on the video name will start the video.
- To start the first Core video click on:
- Getting Started (Under Bloomberg Core Videos)
Bloomberg Core Training Videos
Getting Started (18:15 minutes)
Bloomberg News (19:58 minutes)
Market Monitors and Launch Pad (31:13 minutes)
API (Bloomberg Data in Excel) (27:35 minutes)
Bloomberg Market Sector Training Videos
Equity Essentials (32:42 minutes)
Fixed Income Essentials (34:49 minutes)
FX Essentials (26:28 minutes)
Commodity Essentials (30 minutes)
- After completing the four Core training videos (Getting Started, Bloomberg News, Market Monitors and Launch Pad and API – Bloomberg Data in Excel), users will need to take an exam. Users will also need to take an exam after completing one of the Market Sector courses (Equity Essentials, Fixed Income Essentials, FX Essentials or Commodity Essentials). You will need to pass each exam with a 75% passing grade in order to receive the Acknowledgement of Completion.You may complete each of the Market Sector videos and take an exam for each Market Sector video to receive an Acknowledgment of Completion for each Market Sector.
- In order to access the exams, click on the exam that corresponds with the Market Sector training video. Completing the training video automatically enables you to take the corresponding exam.
- Your exam grade will immediately appear upon completion of the exam. You may retake each exam one time.
Acknowledgement of Completion
- To request the Acknowledgment of Completion, click on the link shown on the screen to bring up the BESS Training Acknowledgment window.
- Enter the email addresses that you would like the acknowledgment email to be sent to by clicking on Add.
- On the toolbar, click the Submit button.
- You will receive an email message acknowledging your completion of the exams.