Arts Administration I: Core Journals
Online Core Journals in Arts Management, Business, and Trade and Entertainment (selected):
- American Journal of Arts Management from 2013. Free but you must register. Peer-reviewed. Covers U.S. non-profit performing arts industry. Search this journal directly–it is not indexed in the databases.
- Artivate: A Journal of Entrepreneurship in the Arts from 2012. Free but you must register. “… research-based articles and case studies of interest to scholars, artists, and students in the areas of entrepreneurship theory as applied to the arts; arts entrepreneurship education; arts management; arts and creative industries; public policy and the arts; the arts in community and economic development; nonprofit leadership; social entrepreneurship in or using the arts; evaluation and assessment; public practice in the arts.” Artivate is published by The Pave Program in Arts Entrepreneurship at Arizona State University.
- Asia Pacific Journal of Arts and Cultural Management from 2003. Open access. Peer-reviewed. “publishes articles that address arts and cultural management and cultural policy issues with an emphasis on research relevant to the Asia-Pacific region. Specific topics covered by the journal include cultural policy, arts funding and law, leadership, management marketing and organisational studies with specific relevance to the arts and cultural sector in the region.” Search this journal directly.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy. News about nonprofit leaders, fund raisers, grant makers, and other people involved in the philanthropic enterprise.
- Cultural Trends from 1998 with an 18-month delay (request full-text articles ffor those years from ILL (Interlibrary Loan). “A quarterly statistical journal on the arts and wider cultural sector.”
- ENCATC: Journal of Cultural Management and Policy from 2011 to present (2013). International authors. “The objective of the ENCATC Journal of Cultural Management and Policy is to stimulate the debate on the topics of cultural management and cultural policy among scholars, educators, policy makers and cultural managers. The Journal is based on a multidisciplinary perspective and aims at connecting theory and practice in the realm of the cultural sector.”
- International journal of arts management (Online) from 2000 Vol. 5(no. 1) to present. Covers management processes: marketing, human resources, finance, accounting; development of best practices and promotes their use through publication of case studies and analyses; current issues; studies, management, and empirical research; theories and models.
- International Journal of Cultural Policy from 1992 to present. “interdisciplinary and international exploration of the meaning, function and impact of cultural policies. Cultural policy is understood as the promotion or prohibition of cultural practices and values by governments, corporations, other institutions and individuals.”
- Journal of Arts Management, Law, and Society from 1992 to present, formerly Journal of Arts Management & Law, from 1982-1992 and Performing Arts Review from 1969-1981. “…authoritative resource for the field of performing, visual, and media arts in particular and cultural affairs more generally. Articles, commentary, and book reviews address current and ongoing issues in arts policy, management, law, and governance from a range of philosophical and national perspectives.”
- Journal of Cultural Economics Online from 1997. Article titles only indexed from 1977 to 1996 but you may request full-text articles from ILL (Interlibrary Loan). “…applies economic analysis to all of the creative and performing arts and the heritage and cultural industries, whether publicly or privately funded. Furthermore, the journal explores the economic organization of the cultural sector and the behavior of producers, consumers, and governments within the cultural sector.”
- Media Culture & Society from 1999 to present. “…a major peer-reviewed, international forum for research and discussion on the media, including the newer information and communication technologies, within their political, economic, cultural and historical contexts.”
- MEIEA Journal from 2000 to present (except 2001). Music & Entertainment Industry Educators Association. “Covers scholarly research and writing about the music and entertainment industries.”
- Museum Management and Curatorship Online from 1995 to 2006. A peer-reviewed, international journal for museum professionals, scholars, students, educators and consultants that examines current issues in depth, and provides up-to-date research, analysis and commentary on developments in museum practice.
- Poetics: Journal of Empirical Research on Culture, the Media and the Arts from 1995 to present. For earlier years, request full-text articles from ILL (Interlibrary Loan).
Online Core journals in Business (selected):
- Academy of Management Review from 1976 to present. “Articles selected through anonymous review, reviews, syntheses, applications and critiques focused on organizational and management theory aimed at members of the Academy of Management.”
- American Economic Review from 1911 to present (for recent years choose American Economic Association platform. “…a general-interest economics journal.”
- Entrepreneurship Research Journal from 2011 to present. “…”a new forum for scholarly discussion on entrepreneurs and their activities, contexts, processes, strategies, and outcomes”
- Harvard Business Review from 1922 to present. “…articles cover a wide range of topics that are relevant to different industries, management functions, and geographic locations. They focus on such areas as leadership, organizational change, negotiation, strategy, operations, marketing, finance, and managing people.” “Case studies are written by professors at HBS and at renowned business programs worldwide and focus on actual problems and decisions companies face.
Online periodicals in Trade and Entertainment (selected):
- Billboard from 1988 to present. “The international newsweekly of music, video and home entertainment; profiles, commentary, album ratings, feature articles, marketing and reviews.” The years 1894-2013, with the exception of 1961 and 1962, are available on microfilm: Mugar Memorial Library Microforms: Microfilm ML1 .E94
- Billboard Archives on Google Books from January 3, 1942 to December 17, 2011. Search or Browse.
- Music Week from 1997. International. “A respected voice and valued source of news, data, analysis and opinion throughout the industry.”
- Musical America from 1988 to 1992.
- Art Business News from 1999 to present. “Trade magazine covering emerging trends driving the fine-art market.”
- Back Stage from 1984 to 2005 and National Edition 1997 to the present. “Weekly magazine serving the East Coast performer in theater, film and TV industries covering industry news, service features and theater/dance reviews.”
- Playbill. Free website begun in 1994 covering breaking news about the theatre industry, with emphasis on New York shows but also covering regional, touring and and the international stage. Browse all news from 1995. Playbill Vault is a comprehensive online database of Broadway history.
- Opera News from 1990. News & reviews of opera companies worldwide. Available in microfilm from 1936-1990 at Mugar Memorial Library Microforms: Microfilm ML1 .F09.
- Ruth ThomasArt LibrarianMugar Memorial Library, Boston University617-353-3770 firstname.lastname@example.org