Arts Administration I: Researching Topics in Books, Journals, and Newspapers
The purpose of this Guide is to facilitate faculty and student research in Boston University’s Arts Administration program. Its companion Guide, Arts Administration II: Data and Information Sources, covers sources on fundraising and philanthropy, marketing and advertising, demographics, and for profit and non-profit companies. To navigate the page, use Guide Index above or scroll down.
Arts Administration Degree and Certificate Programs, Boston University Metropolitan College.
- BULS (Boston University Libraries Search) Limit results to “Available in library” for print books or “Refine My Results: Books” for print and online. “Sign In” (top right of results screen) with your BU login; This allows you to borrow checked out books or books the library does not own by clicking a request button.
- BU WorldCat Local Search here to find books Boston University Libraries does not own. Books the library does not own and books checked out of the library may be requested here. Requested books usually arrive in 3 or 4 business days and may be picked up and returned at Mugar Memorial Library Circulation Desk.
- Ebrary Collection of over 100,000 online books; new titles frequently added. Keyword searching.
- Books in print Use Subject Search Terms/Keywords.
- JStor Book reviews.
- Google Scholar Click on Settings then click on “Library links” and type “Boston University” in the box. When you do your searching, results that are full text in our library resources, such as JStor, will include direct links to them. You also can export results (citations) to Refworks from Google Scholar Settings.
- Suggest a Purchase Request books we do not own.
- Arts Management Network: Books Directory of publications in the field of arts management.
- AAAE (Association of Arts Administration Educators) Publications Arts management titles submitted by AAAE members.
- RCAC (The Research Center for Arts and Culture) Bibliography “extensive bibliography on individual artists and their personal and economic status within society, cognitive and physical development, training and educations and relation to other issues pertinent to the arts field and society-at-large.”
Find Journal Articles
There are three basic ways to find articles published in journals, magazines, and periodicals:
- Discovery tool of the library such as BULS (Boston University Libraries Search).
- Databases that are subject specific or JSTOR.
- Core journal sites that let you search the entire run of a journal from its first volume to the present.
- BULS (Boston University Libraries Search) “Refine My Results: Articles.” Full-text articles accessible on several platforms such as JStor. For comprehensive searches, use the individual databases listed below. Both BULS and the databases index many of the core journals selected below. Also, note that most online journals provide a search box for searching both current and archival issues.
- ABI/Inform (leading business and management journals) To find “case studies,” 1) select Advanced Search, 2) under Document Type select “Case Study,” 3) enter search terms, for example, “performing arts.”
- Academic oneFile (general)
- Art full text (art journals and magazines)
- ARTbibliographies modern (Online) (20th- and 21st century art topics)
- Billboard Archives on Google Books from January 3, 1942 to December 17, 2011. Search or Browse.
- Business abstracts with full text
- Business source complete To find “case studies,” 1) under Document Type select “Case Study,” 2) Enter search terms, for example, theatre.
- Communication & mass media complete
- ERIC Education Resources Information Center
- FIAF international index to film periodicals (Online)
- Film index international
- Film indexes online
- Google Scholar
- International index to the performing arts full text
- JStor (general, full-text)
- LexisNexis academic news
Core Journals and Trade Magazines in Arts Management, Business, and Entertainment
Online Core Journals in Arts Management (selected):
- American Journal of Arts Management from 2013. Free but you must register. Peer-reviewed. Covers U.S. non-profit performing arts industry. Search this journal directly–it is not indexed in the databases.
- Artivate: A Journal of Entrepreneurship in the Arts from 2012. Free but you must register. “… research-based articles and case studies of interest to scholars, artists, and students in the areas of entrepreneurship theory as applied to the arts; arts entrepreneurship education; arts management; arts and creative industries; public policy and the arts; the arts in community and economic development; nonprofit leadership; social entrepreneurship in or using the arts; evaluation and assessment; public practice in the arts.”
- Asia Pacific Journal of Arts and Cultural Management from 2003. Open access. Peer-reviewed. “publishes articles that address arts and cultural management and cultural policy issues with an emphasis on research relevant to the Asia-Pacific region. Specific topics covered by the journal include cultural policy, arts funding and law, leadership, management marketing and organisational studies with specific relevance to the arts and cultural sector in the region.” Search this journal directly.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy. News about nonprofit leaders, fund raisers, grant makers, and other people involved in the philanthropic enterprise.
- Cultural Trends from 1998 with an 18-month delay (request full-text articles ffor those years from ILL (Interlibrary Loan). “A quarterly statistical journal on the arts and wider cultural sector.”
- ENCATC: Journal of Cultural Management and Policy from 2011 to present (2013). International authors. “The objective of the ENCATC Journal of Cultural Management and Policy is to stimulate the debate on the topics of cultural management and cultural policy among scholars, educators, policy makers and cultural managers. The Journal is based on a multidisciplinary perspective and aims at connecting theory and practice in the realm of the cultural sector.”
- International journal of arts management (Online) from 2000 Vol. 5(no. 1) to present. Covers management processes: marketing, human resources, finance, accounting; development of best practices and promotes their use through publication of case studies and analyses; current issues; studies, management, and empirical research; theories and models.
- International Journal of Cultural Policy from 1992 to present. “interdisciplinary and international exploration of the meaning, function and impact of cultural policies. Cultural policy is understood as the promotion or prohibition of cultural practices and values by governments, corporations, other institutions and individuals.”
- Journal of Arts Management, Law, and Society from 1992 to present, formerly Journal of Arts Management & Law, from 1982-1992 and Performing Arts Review from 1969-1981. “…authoritative resource for the field of performing, visual, and media arts in particular and cultural affairs more generally. Articles, commentary, and book reviews address current and ongoing issues in arts policy, management, law, and governance from a range of philosophical and national perspectives.”
- Journal of Cultural Economics Online from 1997. Article titles only indexed from 1977 to 1996 but you may request full-text articles from ILL (Interlibrary Loan). “…applies economic analysis to all of the creative and performing arts and the heritage and cultural industries, whether publicly or privately funded. Furthermore, the journal explores the economic organization of the cultural sector and the behavior of producers, consumers, and governments within the cultural sector.”
- Media Culture & Society from 1999 to present. “…a major peer-reviewed, international forum for research and discussion on the media, including the newer information and communication technologies, within their political, economic, cultural and historical contexts.”
- MEIEA Journal from 2000 to present (except 2001). Music & Entertainment Industry Educators Association. “Covers scholarly research and writing about the music and entertainment industries.”
- Museum Management and Curatorship Online from 1995 to 2006.
- Poetics: Journal of Empirical Research on Culture, the Media and the Arts from 1995 to present. For earlier years, request full-text articles from ILL (Interlibrary Loan).
Online Core journals in Business (selected):
- Academy of Management Review from 1976 to present. “Articles selected through anonymous review, reviews, syntheses, applications and critiques focused on organizational and management theory aimed at members of the Academy of Management.”
- American Economic Review from 1911 to present (for recent years choose American Economic Association platform. “…a general-interest economics journal.”
- Entrepreneurship Research Journal from 2011 to present. “…”a new forum for scholarly discussion on entrepreneurs and their activities, contexts, processes, strategies, and outcomes”
- Harvard Business Review from 1922 to present. “…articles cover a wide range of topics that are relevant to different industries, management functions, and geographic locations. They focus on such areas as leadership, organizational change, negotiation, strategy, operations, marketing, finance, and managing people.” “Case studies are written by professors at HBS and at renowned business programs worldwide and focus on actual problems and decisions companies face.
Online periodicals in Trade and Entertainment (selected):
- Billboard from 1988 to present. “The international newsweekly of music, video and home entertainment; profiles, commentary, album ratings, feature articles, marketing and reviews.” The years 1894-2013, with the exception of 1961 and 1962, are available on microfilm: Mugar Memorial Library Microforms: Microfilm ML1 .E94
- Billboard Archives on Google Books from January 3, 1942 to December 17, 2011. Search or Browse.
- Music Week from 1997. International. “A respected voice and valued source of news, data, analysis and opinion throughout the industry.”
- Musical America from 1988 to 1992.
- Art Business News from 1999 to present. “Trade magazine covering emerging trends driving the fine-art market.”
- Back Stage from 1984 to 2005 and National Edition 1997 to the present. “Weekly magazine serving the East Coast performer in theater, film and TV industries covering industry news, service features and theater/dance reviews.”
- Playbill. Free website begun in 1994 covering breaking news about the theatre industry, with emphasis on New York shows but also covering regional, touring and and the international stage. Browse all news from 1995. Playbill Vault is a comprehensive online database of Broadway history.
- Opera News from 1990. News & reviews of opera companies worldwide. Available in microfilm from 1936-1990 at Mugar Memorial Library Microforms: Microfilm ML1 .F09.
Find Newspapers and Newspaper Articles
BULS (Boston University Libraries Search) now searches 20 newspaper databases for full text articles. Search keywords, e.g., three penny opera. On the results page, follow these steps to retrieve only newspaper articles: Refine My Results: Resource Types: News Items or Resource Types: More options: News items.
ProQuest News and Newspapers This database lets you search nine newspaper databases collectively or individually: Boston Globe (1980 to present), Ethnic NewsWatch, International Newsstand, Boston Globe (1872-1982), Chicago Defender (1910-1973, Chicago Tribune (1849-1990), Los Angeles Times (1881-1990), New York Times (1851-2010), and Washington Post (1877-1997).
Newspapers and News Media. Current newspapers are available from many different databases. This Boston University Libraries Research Guide is indispensable in helping you get to the newspaper(s) you want to search.
Anheier, Helmut K., and David C. Hammack.American Foundations : Roles and Contributions. Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, 2010. Project Muse. Chapter 13:; Roles of Foundations and Their Impact in the Arts.
Baumol, William J.; William G. Bowen. Performing arts, the economic dilemma; a study of problems common to theater, opera, music and dance, 1968. Cambridge, MA: M.I.T. Press. Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (PN2266 .B38 1968 )
Bernstein, Joanne Scheff. Standing room only: marketing insights for engaging performing arts audiences, 2nd ed, 2014. New York, NY: Palgrave Mcmillan. Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (PN1590.M27 B47 2014 )
Byrnes, William J. Management and the Arts, 4th ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier Focal Press, 2009.Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (NX765 .B87 2009)
Cherbo, Joni Maya; Ruth Ann Stewart; Margaret Jane Wyszomirski. Understanding the Arts and Creative Sector in the United States. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2008. ebrary In print:Mugar Memorial Library Stacks ( NX180.S6 U53 2008)
Chong, Derrick. Arts Management. 2nd ed.. ed. London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (NX760 .C48 2010 )
Creative Communities : Art Works in Economic Development. Ed. Michael Rushton. Washington, DC, USA: Brookings Institution Press, 2013. “The chapters are based on papers presented at “The Arts, New Growth Theory, and Economic Development,” a May 2012 Brookings Institution symposium sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts. The central theme of the symposium was that the arts are not an amenity or a sector that exists in isolation but that they are wholly integrated into local economies.” ebrary
Gershuny, Alexandra. Graduate programs in arts administration : financial aid, faculty, curriculum, special programs, facilities and more. 2011. New York, N.Y. : College Art Association. Mugar Memorial Library Reference X (NX760 .G57 2011)
Heilbrun, James and Gray, C.M. The economics of art and culture. 2nd ed. New York: Cambridge University Presss, 2001. Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (NX705.5.U6 H45 2001 )
Hill, Elizabeth. Creative Arts Marketing. Ed. Catherine O’Sullivan and Terry O’Sullivan. 2nd ed. Amsterdam ; Boston : Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003.
Kaiser, Michael M. The Art of the Turnaround Creating and Maintaining Healthy Arts Organizations. Hanover : University Press of New England, 2008. ebrary
—. Leading Roles 50 Questions Every Arts Board should Ask. Lebanon : Brandeis University Press, 2010. Project Muse.
— and Brett E. Egan.Cycle : A Practical Approach to Managing Arts Organizations. Waltham, MA, USA: Brandeis University Press, 2013. ebrary.
Key Issues in the Arts and Entertainment Industry. Ed. Ben Walmsley. Mesa, AZ, USA: Goodfellow Publishers Limited, 2011. ebrary.
Korza, Pam, et al.Fundamentals of Arts Management. 5th ed. Amherst : Arts Extension Service, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2007.Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (NX765 .F85 2007 )
McNulty, Tom. Art Market Research: A Guide to Methods and Sources. 2nd ed. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co., Publishers, 2013. ebrary
O’Reilly, Daragh, and Finola Kerrigan. Marketing the Arts : A Fresh Approach. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge, 2010. Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (NX634 .M38 2010 )
Robertson, Iain.Understanding international art markets and management. London: Routledge, 2005. Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (N8600 .U54 2005 )
Shih, Clara Chung-wai.The Facebook Era : Tapping Online Social Networks to Market, Sell, and Innovate. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ : Prentice Hall, 2011.Frederick S. Pardee Management Library Stacks (HD30.37 .S49 2011 )
Stein, Tobie S. and Jessica Bathurst.Performing Arts Management: A Handbook of Professional Practices. New York: Allworth Press, 2008. Ebooks Corporation.
Towse, Ruth. A Textbook of Cultural Economics. 2010. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ebrary
Wallace, Margot A. Consumer Research for Museum Marketers : Audience Insights Money can’t Buy. Lanham : AltaMira Press, 2010 Mugar Memorial Library Stacks (AM121 .W35 2010 )
Find Bibliographic/Citation Management Programs
Most databases, as well as BULS (Boston University Libraries Search) and Google Scholar, let you “Send” or “Export” your selected search results to a bibliographic manager such as Refworks which converts the results into citations according to the citation style required by your professor. For a list of popular programs, see Create Bibliographies.
TimeLines of Arts Management
Arts Management as a Profession: A (Very) Brief History and Arts Management as Academic Discipline. Kim Detterbeck, Art Librarian, Purchase College, SUNY.
Museums and Museum Studies Research Guide. Mugar Library, Boston University.
- Museum Studies: Information for Museum Professionals and Scholars.Smithsonian. This page provides links to resources pertaining to museum studies: Smithsonian Institution resources, conservation and preservation, education, museum foundation and grant information, organizations, professional resources, and technology.
- Routledge Handbook of Cultural Tourism
Evaluate Your Sources
Evaluate your journal sources
- choose scholarly/peer reviewed/refereed journals
Evaluate your book sources
- look for Book Reviews (book reviews are journal articles) in JStor Advanced Search (Narrow by: Item type=Reviews) and other databases, and/or – type the full title of a book, e.g., The art of the turnaround creating and maintaining healthy arts organizations, in the Boston University Libraries Search Box. The first result is the book itself. The following results will be reviews of the book. Not every book will have been reviewed.
Evaluate your website sources
- Evaluating Information Found on the Internet (Johns Hopkins)
Mugar Memorial Library