Arab and Islamic Studies – in the Library and on the Web
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Historical abstracts (Online)
- LexisNexis academic
- Linguistics and language behavior abstracts (Online)
- Linguistics abstracts online LABS.
- New York times (1851- )
- Encyclopedia of women & Islamic cultures (Online)
- Religion and philosophy collection
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Encyclopaedia of Islam, three (Online)
- Encyclopaedia of the Orient
- CIA World Factbook
- Salaam Biographical Dictionary
- Encylcopedia of Arabic Literature. Meisami, Juile Scott and Paul Starkey, eds. Ref. PJ7510 E53 1998 2 vols.
- Encyclopaedia Iranica. 12 vols. from the Encyclopaedia Iranica Foundation
- Muslim Peoples: a World Ethnographic Survey. Weekes, Richard V. Ref. DS35.625 A1 M87 2 vols.
- The Concise Oxford English-Arabic dictionary of current usage. Doniach, N.S. with the assistance of Safa Khulusi, N. Shamaa, W.K. Davin. Ref. PJ4460. O94 1982 Pardee, Sci/Eng; African Studies Library
- Oxford-Duden pictorial English dictionary with English-Arabic index. Clark, Michael and Bernadette Mohan, eds.; English-Arabic Index prepared by Moustafa Gabr. Ref. PE1629. O88. 2003
- A dictionary of modern written Arabic : (Arab.-Engl.) / Wehr, Hans; Cowan, J. Milton ed; Ref. PJ6640 W43 1979 4 vols.
- Arabic-English lexicon. Book I. Lane, Edward William. Ref. 6640 L4 Theology Library 8 vols.
- Redhouse Turkish-English Dictionary. Ref. PL191 R547 1999
- Persian-English Dictionary/ Hayhim, Sulayman Ref. PK6379 H34 1993
Keyword searching is often easier, as authors’ names may be spelled in a form unfamiliar to the searcher. Thus, a search in our catalog for Mahfouz will direct the searcher to the correct Arabic spelling of Mahfuz, Najib.
When searching titles that being with al, skip the first “al-” of the first word, but include “al-” when it is attached to other words in the title.
Compound names should be searched under the first element of the compound form of the family name. i.e. Husayn Ibn Ghannan to Ibn Ghannamm, Husayn.
For a list of Boston University journals/serials relating to Arab Studies, go to this link in the catalog.
For access to EBooks, including A Literary History of Persia by Edward G. Browne, go to this link in the BU catalog.
- Online Journals – University of Exeter
- Electronic Journals and Newspapers – Columbia University
- Banipal – Magazine of Modern Arab Literature
Cultures of the Arab World
- Arab Culture and Civilization – in Arabic
- Arabic Newspapers
- Arab News- English translations of news stories from many Middle Eastern sources
- BBC Arabic.com (non-English)
- Asharq Alawsat
- The Art of Arabic Calligraphy – includes 4 articles on different aspects of the Arabic art of calligraphy including the Language and the Script, a Brief History, the Kufic Style, and the Cursive Style
- Access to Scholarship Editions, from the California Digital Library, can be found at this site under Middle Eastern Studies. Look for the term Public for free access.
- Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia – authoritative source on Quran and Prophetic traditions
- Museum With No Frontiers – authoritative source on Islamic art and architecture
- Saudi Aramco World journal