Research Assistants to Law Faculty

Every faculty member has a liaison on the library staff. This librarian will work with faculty RAs to help them develop a research plan or to point out specialized resources.  You can also use Chat or the Ask Us button if you have a question during library hours.  There are also research guides for specialized resources.

FAQs for RAs

I am checking out material for a faculty member from another Charles River Campus library.

Borrow the book on your ID and then bring it to the circulation desk at the law library and we will reassign it to the faculty member.

I need material from the Medical Campus library.

You must retrieve books on the Charles River Campus, but books on the Medical Campus you can request like an Inter-Library Loan (ILL see below).  Bear in mind that some material is non-circulating.  If that is the case please contact circulation.

I need a book in the closed stacks.

If the book may be requested a “request” option will appear in the catalog and you can request that the book be retrieved for you.

The material is not owned by BU (ILL).

If you do not find the material you need in the catalog you must search here and request the material.  We will Interlibrary Loan the material from another library.  We will be in touch about the timing for delivery.

The material is in use or my faculty member and I both need a copy.

Where material is in use you can recall the material on the catalog.  You must be signed in.  Recalls take a week.  If you need it more quickly for RA-related purposes the library can work with you to obtain another copy.  Please contact circulation or stop by the reference desk.

The material is supposed to be on the shelf but is not.

If material is not on the shelf request the material on the catalog with a note that it is missing from the shelf.  The law library staff will search for the material.  If not found we will automatically place an Interlibrary Loan.