Summer Access to Lexis Advance, Westlaw, Bloomberg Law and other Library Databases for Continuing Students
Bloomberg Law accounts through BUSL may be used for academic and employment-related purposes. Your password will continue throughout the summer. Register for a Bloomberg Law password.
If you have any questions, BUSL's Bloomberg representative is Eric Malinowski.
All current students, will have free and unlimited use of Lexis Advance all summer. Students MAY use school ID’s for paid work, school work, volunteer work, journal work, bar prep, personal use, etc. You do not have to do anything to sign up; the ID’s just stay active. There are no restrictions on hours either. If you don't have a Lexis Advance password, please contact Reeves Gillis.
Students have 60 hrs/month for June and July (August is no longer considered summer for purposes of an academic password). If you are an RA you can sign-up for an extention for an educational use only:
- Law review and journal work
- Summer research assistantships ("project for a professor")
- Moot court research
- Summer law school classes
- Unpaid internship/externship
Use is only for academic purposes and commercial use of your BUSL password is not allowed. Additional reasons not to use your academic password at work:
- Collaboration – sharing research saved to Folders on WestlawNext is an important part of your ability to collaborate with attorneys and other associates within the law firm. Folders are not shareable between law school passwords and firm passwords.
- Billing – Tracking time spent conducting legal research is an essential skill for all attorneys, especially at firms that use Cost Recovery for the WestlawNext contract.
- Confidentiality – Client confidentiality is a hallmark of the legal profession. Legal research is considered work product. Some law firms, corporations and government agencies will require you to use a commercial password only for this reason.
Databases like BNA or Intelliconnect continue to be available over the summer from the library A-Z list. Most of our licenses with these companies require use for academic purposes.
Please contact Stefanie Weigmann at 617 358-4997, email@example.com, or in Room 323.
Last updated: April 2016