Summer Access to Lexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg and Library Databases for Continuing Students
Bloomberg: Bloomberg accounts through BUSL may be used for academic and employment-related purposes. Your password will continue throughout the summer.
Lexis:All current students, will have free and unlimited use of Lexis Advance all summer through July 31, 2014, no strings attached. That means that students CAN use school ID’s for paid work, school work, volunteer work, journal work, bar prep, personal use, etc. You do not have to do anything to sign up; the ID’s just stay active. There are no restrictions on hours either. You must have a Lexis Advance password to take advantage of this. If you don't have a Lexis Advance password please contact Reeves Nelson.
Westlaw will provide full access to continuing students upon registration for the following purposes:
- Law review and journal work
- Summer research assistantships ("project for a professor")
- Moot court research
- Summer law school classes
- Unpaid internship/externship
If you are not eligible to extend you will have access in June and July. This is only for academic purposes and commercial use of your BUSL password is not allowed. However, before you use an academic password for associate work at a law firm, corporation or government organization, consider the following:
- Collaboration – sharing research saved to Folders on WestlawNext is an important part of your ability to collaborate with attorneys and other associates within the law firm. Since folders are not shareable between law school passwords and firm passwords, it is important to remember that you may need to use your commercial password this summer for this purpose
- Billing – Tracking time spent conducting legal research is an essential skill for all attorneys, especially at firms that use Cost Recovery for the WestlawNext contract. Learn this skill by using a commercial password this summer
- Confidentiality – Some law firms, corporations and government agencies will require you to use a commercial password only (and not use your academic password). Client confidentiality is a hallmark of the legal profession. Legal research is considered work product. Keep in confidential by using your commercial password.
Library Databases: Databases available through the library homepage like BNA or Intelliconnect continue to be available over the summer. Most of our licenses with these companies require use for academic purposes.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Steven Ellis at 358-6748, firstname.lastname@example.org, or in Room 342..
Last updated: April 2014