Through the Semester-in-Practice Program, students may spend a semester working full-time for credit at an externship placement outside of Boston. The program is designed for students who want an intensive hands-on experience - and an opportunity not otherwise available in Boston - furthering specific career and academic goals.
The Semester-in-Practice Program offers four options:
- Human Rights Externship (Geneva) - Students work in Geneva for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) committed to the protection of human rights.
- Government Lawyering in Washington, D.C. - Students work in a government office in Washington. Examples include opportunities with the staff of a Congressional committee or subcommittee, in the legal office of an administrative agency, or with a federal board/commission.
- Death Penalty Externship - Students work at the Southern Center for Human Rights in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Independent Proposal Externship - Students develop their own proposal for a full-time externship. View past placements-->
- ACLU of Massachusetts, Northampton, MA
- Barker, Epstein, Loscocco & McHaffey, Boston, MA
- California State Water Resources Control Board, Sacramento, CA
- Commonwealth Trust Company, Wilmington, DE
- Delaware Office of the Attorney General, DE
- Department of Homeland Security, Immigrations & Custom Enforcement, Burlington, VT
- Continental Development Group, Los Angeles, CA
- Electus, Los Angeles, CA
- Federal Defenders Office for E.D. Michigan, Detroit, MI
- Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Consumer Protection and Competition, New York, NY
- Federal Trade Commission, Seattle, WA
- LA County Public Defender’s Office, Long Beach, CA
- Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights, Washington, D.C.
- The Law Project, Chicago, IL
- Legal Advocates for Children and Youth, San Jose, CA
- Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, New York, NY
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF), Los Angeles, CA
- Office of the City Attorney, San Francisco, CA
- Organization for Refuge, Asylum and Migration, San Francisco, California
- Reveille Productions, Los Angeles, CA
- SEC, New York, NY
- Sony Entertainment, New York, NY
- United States Department of Justice, Los Angeles, CA Office