Health Insurance and Required Forms
Massachusetts law requires full-time and three-quarters time students registered through the institutions of higher education to have medical insurance that meets state requirements. Students are automatically enrolled in the Boston University Medical Insurance Plan and their student accounts are charged for the coverage. Eligible students who do not wish to participate in the University insurance plan must complete a medical insurance waiver certifying that their U.S.-based coverage is comparable to the Boston University Medical Insurance Plan. Please see below for more details about the insurance waiver.
1. The Boston University student medical insurance plan is administered by Aetna Student Health. Visit Aetna Student Health’s Web site at www.aetnastudenthealth.com for a complete description of the student medical insurance plan for the 2013-2014 policy year.
2. Boston University offers students a choice of two medical insurance plans:
- Student BASIC Plan ($2,141) - the basic plan, automatically charged to your student account unless you waive it or choose the Student Plus Plan
- Student PLUS Plan ($2,910) - a more comprehensive plan offering additional coverage; you must request this plan. The deadline to upgrade to this plan is September 30, 2014
3. The medical insurance coverage is effective August 23, 2013 through August 22, 2014.
4. Students attending BU Law only for the Fall 2013 semester will automatically be charged for an entire year of health insurance coverage. To request that medical insurance coverage terminate on December 31, 2013, students must sign and return the Medical Insurance Premium Adjustment Form to Student Accounting Services by December 31, 2013. If the request is approved, the Fall 2013 student medical insurance charge will be reduced for students enrolled in the BASIC Plan from $2,141 to $769, and for students enrolled in the PLUS Plan from $2,910 to $1045.
5. Students who will begin their enrollment in the Spring 2014 semester, please note: the medical insurance coverage is effective January 1, 2014 to August 22, 2014, at a cost of $1,372 or $1,865, depending upon the plan selected. The deadline for new Spring 2014 students to upgrade from Student BASIC to Student PLUS is February 1, 2014. To upgrade to the Student PLUS level, visit the Student Link.
Waiver Information and Deadlines
International students in F-1 and J-1 visa status may waive the BU Medical Plan only in extremely limited cases. A waiver is only available if the student is covered by an employer-based plan or an Embassy-sponsored plan that provides the student with comprehensive U.S.-based coverage. More information about waiver eligibility and comparable coverage guidelines are available on the Student Accounting Services Web site.
For students enrolled in the Fall 2013 semester not in F-1 or J-1 visa status:
If you have a comparable level of health insurance coverage for the full policy year a Medical Insurance Waiver may be completed online to decline participation in the University's plan. The completed Medical Insurance Waiver must be received by Student Accounting Services no later than September 30, 2013 to waive participation for the 2013-2014 academic year.
New students enrolling in the Spring 2014 semester not in F-1 or J-1 status:
The completed Medical Insurance Waiver must be received by Student Accounting Services no later than February 1, 2014, to waive participation for the Spring 2014 semester.
Use the Student Link to Access Your Student Account
To view your personal medical insurance status, or to waive or confirm the medical insurance charge, visit the Student Link. Please note that only Boston University students with a Kerberos password will be able to view personal information on the Student Link.
For More Information
For additional information, including information about dependent coverage and coverage for part-time students, see the Student Accounting Services Web site.
In order to ensure the health of the entire student community, Boston University requires all full-time and all international students to complete two medical documents:
- Immunization and Physical Form (Paper document signed by your doctor or health care provider)
- Incoming Health History Form (Completed online through Patient Connect)
These forms can be found on the Student Health Services Web site at http://www.bu.edu/shs. Click on FORMS in the upper right hand corner of the page and select HEALTH FORM – CHARLES RIVER CAMPUS from the list of available forms. From there follow the instructions provided. Be sure to make a copy of the immunization form for your records. Please note that your registration will be blocked and you will not be able to attend class if your immunization records are incomplete.
Please submit these forms before August 1, 2013. If you have any questions regarding this process please email Student Health Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.