To ensure the safety of all graduates and their guests, heightened security measures will be in effect May 15–17 throughout Commencement Weekend ceremonies and events. We thank you for your cooperation with these important precautions.
Commencement Weekend enhanced security procedures are as follows:
- BU Police and professional security personnel will monitor all entry points to Commencement and Convocation venues.
- All students, faculty, staff, volunteers, guests, and vendors will be subject to screening when entering any Commencement Weekend venue, possibly with a metal-detecting wand or similar devices.
- Guests who are not carrying a bag may use an express entrance lane.
- Only small and average-size handbags, purses, and camera bags will be allowed (no large totes, over-sized purses, backpacks, large diaper bags, or messenger bags).
- All bags will be physically inspected prior to entry.
- No other bags, gift bags, wrapped gifts, packages, briefcases, backpacks, or luggage will be allowed in a Commencement or Convocation venue, including Nickerson Field.
- If guests have packages or bags that are not permitted, they may leave them at a “self-check” area adjacent to the venues. While this area will be monitored by security, the University will not provide a claim check process and will not be responsible for packages left in the self-check area.
- Bomb-detection dogs from the Boston Police Department and Massachusetts State Police will sweep specific venues and open areas, including self-check bag storage and checkpoint areas.
- Graduates and faculty should carry their robes into event venues and then dress in designated lineup areas.
Please share this information with your guests and please allow for extra time to accommodate these security measures.