Launched in 2010, BU Law’s Public Service Fellowships continue BU Law’s long tradition of supporting our students’ pursuit of careers in public service.
BU Law awards exceptional graduating third year students one year full-time Public Service Fellowships to enable them to launch their public service careers by working at non-profit organizations and government agencies providing legal assistance to underserved populations, where these organizations would not otherwise be able to employ a new attorney.
The generous support of alumni and friends, who in 2015 exceeded a match challenge from the University, enhanced these opportunities by creating several named fellowships.
BU Law Public Service Fellows have worked at organizations across the United States and abroad, including:
- 15th Judicial Circuit, Office of State of Florida Public Defender (West Palm Beach, FL)
- Asylum Ecuador (Quito, Ecuador)
- Greater Boston Legal Services (Boston, MA)
- California Health Benefit Exchange (Sacramento, CA)
- Center for Reproductive Rights, US Policy & Advocacy Program (Washington, DC)
- Committee for Public Counsel Services (Brockton, MA)
- Delaware Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General (Wilmington, DE)
- Disability Law Center (Boston, MA)
- Environmental Defense Fund (New York, NY)
- Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights (San Francisco, CA)
- Legal Aid Foundation of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Massachusetts Civil Liberties Union (Northampton, MA)
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (Malden, MA)
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Minneapolis, MN)
- Natural Resource Defense Council (Santa Monica, CA)
- New York City Transit Authority (New York, NY)
- New York Legal Aid Society (New York, NY)
- New York State Attorney General’s Office (New York, NY)
- Northwest Justice Project, Kings County Office (Seattle, WA)
- Political Asylum/Immigration Representation Project (Boston, MA)
- Public Advocates (San Francisco, CA)
- Public Knowledge (Washington, DC)
- Sixth Amendment Center (Boston, MA)
If you are interested in potentially serving as a placement organization for a BU Law Public Service Fellow, please contact Toni Hicks in the CDO.