Opportunities to work part-time are available both at the law school and throughout the University at large. Students who choose to work may work no more than 20 hours a week and should review the American Bar Association's rules and guidelines for law student employees.
Contact Kealin McCormick at (617) 353-0409 in the School of Law Personnel/Payroll Services Office with questions. The office is located in room 452 on the fourth floor of the law tower.
New Student Employees
- All new BU Law student employees must complete the I-9 Employment and Eligibility Form before starting work. If the I-9 form is not completed before starting work, the student must stop working until the I-9 is submitted.
- BU Law student employees who are U.S. citizens or legal residents must come to room 452 to complete their I-9 form. Students should provide original documents showing proof of both identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Acceptable documents are listed on page 9 of the I-9 form.
- Direct deposit is required for all student employees. Direct deposit can be signed up for through the Student Link. Please click here for instructions. Note: You will not be able to sign up for direct deposit until you have received your first check.
International Student Employees
With a Social Security Number
- International students must complete the I-9 form at the International Scholars and Students Office (ISSO) at 888 Commonwealth Ave, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02215.
- After completing the I-9 form at ISSO, international students must bring all of their documents to room 452 at the law school to fill out the rest of their paperwork.
Without a Social Security Number
- International students who do not have a Social Security number must have their work supervisor complete and sign the SSN Certification Form which may be accessed by clicking here or go to http://www.bu.edu/isso/forms/ssn_certification.pdf. The SSN Certification Form must be printed on the department letterhead of the student's supervisor.
- Internationals must bring their passport, I-20, I-94, BU ID, etc to ISSO when completing the I-9 form and/or SSN Certification.
- After completing the I-9 form at ISSO, international students must bring all of their documents (including their social security card) to room 452 at the law school to fill out the rest of their paperwork.
- To complete the I-9 Form international students may go to ISSO:
- Tuesday from 9am-10am
- Wednesday from 2pm-5pm
- Please note that ISSO is not open until noon on Wednesdays.
Current Student Employees
- Payroll reminders for student employees
STEP (Student Time Entry Process)
- Student employees must have an I-9 form on file, be in compliance with University regulations, be registered as a student, and have contacted Kealin McCormick in BU Law Payroll before they can input hours on STEP (Student Time Entry Process).
- The BU Law deadline for student employees to submit their time entries is Thursday at midnight for the current week. Students who work on Friday or the weekend should forecast their hours and then submit their time entry by Thursday.
- Instructions for STEP
Notification of Professor
All students working as research assistants are required to email or communicate with their professors the hours that they work each week.
Accurate Reporting Policy
The hours you submit should be an accurate portrayal of the time that you work.