Counseling and Support
Life does not stop during law school. Balancing a rigorous academic schedule, extracurricular activities, and one's personal life can be overwhelming at times. Some issues that might arise include:
- Anxiety or fear of being called on in class (which affects class attendance)
- Problems related to alcohol or drug use
- Relationship difficulties
- Compulsive gambling
- Family issues, such as an ill parent or child
- Juggling school and one's personal or family life
- Concern about the impact of a prior problem on possible bar admission
- Uncertainty about whether law school is the right choice for you
- Issues related to grades and academic performance
- Disrupted sleep or eating
Fortunately, Boston University and the Boston area provide several resources that can help:
- Boston University Educational Resource Center: provides academic support programs to the B.U. community, helping them excel in their studies.
- Student Health Services, including the Behavioral Medicine Clinic : includes a walk-in medical clinic, in-house laboratory, infirmary, confidential mental health and counseling services and a crisis intervention counselor.
- Danielsen Institute: Boston University’s confidential mental health care clinic licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders: provides comprehensive cognitive-behavioral treatments in individual and group formats, as well as in-depth assessments of psychological functioning.
- Lawyers Concerned For Lawyers, Inc.: (LCL) provides confidential counseling services for a wide variety of issues, including depression, anxiety, stress, work/family balance issues, questions related to information that must be reported to the bar authorities and substance abuse.
Take the LCL self-tests for alcohol/drug; depression; bipolar; problem gambling; Adult ADHD
- International Students and Scholars Office: provides essential services and support to students, faculty and staff to ensure student, scholar and institutional compliance with federal regulations. The ISSO office provides professional expertise on immigration and employment issues.
- Center for English Language and Orientation Programs: ensures that students receive the most advanced methods of intensive English instruction from professionals.