- C.M. Klapperich, C. Gaydos, J. Parrish, “Commentary: Despite Doubts Raised On Theranos, Great Need For Quick Diagnoses,” WBUR’s Commonhealth Blog, 19 October 2015.
- C.M. Klapperich, “Biotech World Abuzz Over Questions About Theranos Technology,” Guest commentary on WBUR’s Radio Boston, 19 October 2015.
- C. M. Klapperich, Microfluidic diagnostics: time for industry standards (2009) Expert Rev Med Devices, 6, 211 (May, 2009)
Journal Articles and Conference Proceedings
Note: We have done our best to provide open access links as they become available. Also note that all PLoS journal links are open access. We are happy to accept requests for reprints at any time.
Microfluidics and Diagnostics
- Cristillo, Anthony D. PhD, MS; Bristow, Claire C. PhD, MPH, MSc; Peeling, Rosanna PhD; Van Der Pol, Barbara PhD, MPH; de Cortina, Sasha Herbst BA; Dimov, Ivan K. PhD; Pai, Nitika Pant MD, MPH, PhD; Jin Shin, Dong BSE; Chiu, Ricky Y.T. PhD; Klapperich, Catherine PhD; Madhivanan, Purnima MD, MPH, PhD; Morris, Sheldon R. MD, MPH; Klausner, Jeffrey D. MD, MPH,” Point-of-Care Sexually Transmitted Infection Diagnostics: Proceedings of the STAR Sexually Transmitted InfectionClinical Trial Group Programmatic Meeting,” Sexually Transmitted Diseases, April 2017 – Volume 44 – Issue 4 – p 211–218.
- Polyethersulfone improves isothermal nucleic acid amplification compared to current paper-based diagnostics. Linnes JC, Rodriguez NM, Liu L, Klapperich CM., Biomed Microdevices. 2016 Apr;18(2):30. doi: 10.1007/s10544-016-0057-z. PMID: 26906904 Free PMC Article
“National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering Point-of-Care Technology Research Network: Advancing Precision Medicine,” IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine, DECEMBER 2016, 4(1), 1-14.DOI: 10.1109/JTEHM.2016.2598837 Free PMC Article PMCID: PMC5052024
Natalia M. Rodriguez, Winnie S. Wong, Lena Liu, Rajan Dewar and Catherine M. Klapperich*, “A fully integrated paperfluidic molecular diagnostic chip for the extraction, amplification, and detection of nucleic acids from clinical samples,” Lab Chip, 2016, Advance Article DOI: 10.1039/C5LC01392E
- (2016), “Awareness, Interest, and Preferences of Primary Care Providers in Using Point-of-Care Cancer Screening Technology,“PLoS ONE 11(1): e0145215. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0145215
- Rodriguez NM, Linnes JC, Fan A, Ellenson CK, Pollock NR, Klapperich CM, “Paper-Based RNA Extraction, in Situ Isothermal Amplification, and Lateral Flow Detection for Low-Cost, Rapid Diagnosis of Influenza A (H1N1) from Clinical Specimens,” Analytical Chemistry, 2015 Aug 4;87(15):7872-9. doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.5b01594. Epub 2015 Jul 15.
- George W. Pratt, Andy Fan, and Catherine M. Klapperich, “Colorimetric Detection of Azidothymidine Using an Alkyne-Modified Dextran Substrate,” ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng., 2015, 1 (5), pp 314–319, DOI: 1021/ab500130d
- Derda, R., Gitaka,J., Klapperich, C.M. , et al, “Enabling the development and deployment of next generation point-of-care diagnostics,” PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, Published: May 14, 2015, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0003676
- Stahl, James E. MD, CM, MPH; McGowan, Heather BFA; DiResta, Ellen BFA; Gaydos, Charlotte A. MS, MPH, DrPH; Klapperich, Catherine PhD; Parrish, John MD; Carleton, Penny RN, MS, MPA, MSc; Korte, Brenda PhD, “Systems Engineering and Point-of-Care Testing: Report From the NIBIB POCT/Systems Engineering Workshop,” Point of Care: The Journal of Near-Patient Testing & Technology, March 2015, 14(1), pp.12–24, doi: 10.1097/POC.0000000000000046 (2015).
- Wong, S.Y., Cabodi, M., Rolland, J., Klapperich, C.M., “Evaporative concentration on a paper-based device to concentrate analytes in a biological fluid,” Analytical Chemistry, (2014) Dec 16;86(24):11981-5. doi: 10.1021/ac503751a.
- Jacqueline C. Linnes, Andy Fan, Natalia M. Rodriguez, Bertrand Lemieux, Huimin Kong and Catherine M. Klapperich, “Paper-based molecular diagnostic for Chlamydia trachomatis,” RSC Adv., (2014), 4, 42245-42251. NIH Open Access Link.
- Samantha Byrnes, Andy Fan, Jacob Trueb, Francis Jareczek, Mark Mazzochette, Andre Sharon, Alexis F. Sauer-Budge and Catherine M. Klapperich, (2013) A portable, pressure driven, room temperature nucleic acid extraction and storage system for point of care molecular diagnostics, Anal. Methods, 2013,5, 3177-3184, Highlighted in Chemistry World. NIH Open Access Link
- Huang S, Do J, Mahalanabis M, Fan A, Zhao L, et al. (2013) Low Cost Extraction and Isothermal Amplification of DNA for Infectious Diarrhea Diagnosis. PLoS ONE 8(3): e60059. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0060059
- J. Y. Zhang, M. Mahalanabis, L. Liu, J. Chang, N. Pollock, C. Klapperich*, “A disposable microfluidic virus concentration device based on evaporation and interfacial tension,” Diagnostics (2013), 3, 155-169. (link is open access)
- Q. Cao, M. Mahalanabis, J. Chang, B. Carey, C. Hsieh, A. Stanley, C. A. Odell, P. Mitchell, J. Feldman, N. R. Pollock, C. M. Klapperich,”Microfluidic Chip for Molecular Amplification of Influenza A RNA in Human Respiratory Specimens,” PLoS ONE 7(3): e33176. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033176, (2012).
- Nga T Ho; Andy Fan; Catherine M Klapperich; Mario Cabodi, “Sample concentration and purification for point-of-care diagnostics,” Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2012, 2396 (2012). NIH Open Access Link
- CM Klapperich, M Mahalanabis, SH Patel, S Sharma, JE Rosen, “A novel platform for nucleic acid biomarker-based diagnosis of thyroid cancer,” Head & Neck Oncology 4 (5), 85, (2012).
- B. Plouffe, M. Mahalanabis, L. Lewis, C. Klapperich and S. Murthy, “Clinically Relevant Microfluidic Magnetophoretic Isolation of Rare-Cell Populations for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Monitoring Applications” Anal Chem. Feb 7;84(3):1336-44, (2012).
- W.R. Premasiri, A.F. Sauer-Budge, J.C. Lee, C.M. Klapperich and L.D. Ziegler, “Rapid Bacterial Diagnostics Via Surface-Enhanced Raman Microscopy,” Spectroscopy, supplement, pp. 8-21, June (2012). NIH Open Access Link
- A. Sampathkumar, C. M. Klapperich, J. R. Saylor and R. G. Holt, “Optical freezing of Faraday waves for precise pore distributions in tissue scaffolds”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, 2679 (2011).
- A.W. Gruentzig, C.M. Klapperich, A. Sharon, J. Braman, A. Chatterjee and A.F. Sauer-Budge, “A new DNA extraction method for automated food analysis,” Anal. Methods, 2011, 3 (7), 1507 – 1513, (2011).
- M. C. Kim et al., Programmed trapping of individual bacteria using micrometre-size sieves. Lab Chip 11, 1089 (Mar 21, 2011).
- Q. Cao, M. C. Kim, C. Klapperich, “Plastic microfluidic chip for continuous-flow polymerase chain reaction: simulations and experiments.”Biotechnol J 6, 177 (Feb, 2011). NIH Open Access Link
- J. Y. Zhang, J. Do, W. R. Premasiri, L. D. Ziegler, C. M. Klapperich, “Rapid point-of-care concentration of bacteria in a disposable microfluidic device using meniscus dragging effect,” Lab Chip 10, 3265 (Dec 7, 2010).
- Do, J., Zhang, J.Y. and Klapperich, C.M., “Maskless Writing of Microfluidics: Rapid Prototyping of 3D Microfluidics Using Scratch on a Polymer Substrate,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 27 (2), 245-248. (2011)
- M. Mahalanabis, J. Do, A. L. H, J. Y. Zhang, C. M. Klapperich, An integrated disposable device for DNA extraction and helicase dependent amplification. Biomed Microdevices 12, 353 (Apr, 2010) NIH Open Access Link
- M. Mahalanabis, J. Do, H. Almuayad, J. Y. Zhang, C. M. Klapperich, Erratum to: An integrated disposable device for DNA extraction and helicase dependent amplification. Biomed Microdevices 13, 599 (Jun, 2011).
- M. C. Kim, C. Klapperich, A new method for simulating the motion of individual ellipsoidal bacteria in microfluidic devices. Lab Chip 10, 2464 (Sep 21, 2010).
- A. Chatterjee et al., RNA isolation from mammalian cells using porous polymer monoliths: an approach for high-throughput automation. Anal Chem 82, 4344 (Jun 1, 2010).
- A. F. Sauer-Budge et al., Low cost and manufacturable complete microTAS for detecting bacteria. Lab Chip 9, 2803 (Oct 7, 2009).
- M. Mahalanabis, H. Al-Muayad, M. D. Kulinski, D. Altman, C. M. Klapperich, Cell lysis and DNA extraction of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria from whole blood in a disposable microfluidic chip. Lab Chip 9, 2811 (Oct 7, 2009).
- SJ Moon, F Manzur, T Manzur, C Klapperich, U Demirci, Escherichia coli counting using lens-free imaging for sepsis diagnosis, Proceedings of SPIE 7480, 748011, (2009)
- M. D. Kulinski et al., Sample preparation module for bacterial lysis and isolation of DNA from human urine. Biomed Microdevices 11, 671 (Jun, 2009).
- S. Gillers et al., Microscale sample preparation for PCR of C. difficile infected stool. J Microbiol Methods 78, 203 (Aug, 2009).
- A. Bhattacharyya, C. M. Klapperich, Differential gene expression using mRNA isolated on plastic microfluidic chips. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009, 1067 (2009).
- Bhattacharyya, A. and C.M. Klapperich, ”Microfluidics -Based Extraction of Viral RNA for Disposable Molecular Diagnostics, ” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 129, (2008), 693–698.
- A. Bhattacharyya, C. M. Klapperich, Design and testing of a disposable microfluidic chemiluminescent immunoassay for disease biomarkers in human serum samples. Biomed Microdevices 9, 245 (Apr, 2007).
- A. Bhattacharyya, C. M. Klapperich, Mechanical and chemical analysis of plasma and ultraviolet-ozone surface treatments for thermal bonding of polymeric microfluidic devices. Lab Chip 7, 876 (Jul, 2007).
- A. Bhattacharyya, C. M. Klapperich, Thermoplastic microfluidic device for on-chip purification of nucleic acids for disposable diagnostics. Anal Chem 8, 788 (Feb 1, 2006).
- S. Huang, J. Do, M. Mahalanabis, A. Fan, L. Jepeal, S. K. Singh and C. M. Klapperich, “A Disposable DNA Amplification Platform for the Detection of Clostridium difficile Infected Stool Specimens,” Proceedings 15th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (mTAS), Seattle, WA., (October 2011).
- M. Mahalanabis, Q. Cao, J. Chang, C. A. Odell, N. Pollock, P. Mitchell, J. Feldman, C. M. Klapperich, “A Disposable Microfluidic Chip for Detection of Influenza Type A in Clinical Specimens Integrating RNA Isolation, Reverse Transcription and Continuous Flow PCR.,” Proceedings 15th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (mTAS), Seattle, WA., (October 2011).
- Do, J. Zhang, J. and Klapperich, C., “Maskless writing microfluidics: Rapid prototyping of 3D microfluidics using scratch on a polymer substrate,” Proceedings 13th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (mTAS), Jeju, Korea, (2009).
- Do, J., Zhang, J., and Klapperich, C., “Rapid concentration of bacteria in a disposable microfluidic device using enhanced evaporation for point-of-care sample preparation,” Proceedings 13th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (mTAS), Jeju, Korea, (2009).
- Do, J., Mahalanabis, M., Zhang, J., AlMuayad, H., and Klapperich, C., “An integrated disposable microfluidic device for bacterial detection using solid-phase DNA extraction and isothermal helicase-dependent amplification,” Proceedings 13th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (mTAS), Jeju, Korea, (2009).
- Kim, M.C., Isenberg, B.C., Sutin, J., Meller, A., Wong, J.Y. and Klapperich, C., “Single bacteria trapping using microscale sieves with submicron features: Simulation and experiments,” Proceedings 13th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (mTAS), Jeju, Korea, (2009).
- A. Bhattacharyya and C.M. Klapperich, “Differential Gene Expression Using mRNA Isolated on Plastic Mircofluidic Chips,” Proceedings of the IEEE, 31st Annual EMBS Conference, Minneapolis, MN, (2009).
- A. Bhattacharyya and C.M. Klapperich, “Polymeric Microfluidic Device for on chip Cell Lysis and Isolation of Nucleic Acids from Biological Samples,” mTAS 2005, Boston, MA, (2005).
- A. Bhattacharyya and C.M. Klapperich, “Fabrication of a Polymeric Microfluidic Device for On-Chip Nucleic Acid Separation,” Proceedings of ICMM2005, 3rd International Conference on Microchannels and Minichannels, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, (2005).
- C. M. Klapperich et al., A novel biocompatible adhesive incorporating plant-derived monomers. J Biomed Mater Res A 91, 378 (Nov, 2009).
- J. D. Kaufman, C. M. Klapperich, Surface detection errors cause overestimation of the modulus in nanoindentation on soft materials. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 2, 312 (Aug, 2009).
- M. S. Jardeleza, M. K. Daly, J. D. Kaufman, C. Klapperich, P. A. Legutko, Effect of trypan blue staining on the elastic modulus of anterior lens capsules of diabetic and nondiabetic patients. J Cataract Refract Surg 35, 318 (Feb, 2009).
- N. J. Spencer, D. A. Cotanche, C. M. Klapperich, Peptide- and collagen-based hydrogel substrates for in vitro culture of chick cochleae. Biomaterials 29, 1028 (Mar, 2008). NIH Open Access Link
- J. D. Kaufman, G. J. Miller, E. F. Morgan, C. M. Klapperich, Time-dependent mechanical characterization of poly(2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) hydrogels using nanoindentation and unconfined compression. J Mater Res 23, 1472 (May, 2008). NIH Open Access Link
- J. D. Kaufman, J. Song, C. M. Klapperich, Nanomechanical Analysis of Bone Tissue Engineering Scaffolds J Biomed Mater Res A 81, 611 (Jun 1, 2007).
- J. Jaworski, C. M. Klapperich, Fibroblast remodeling activity at two- and three-dimensional collagen-glycosaminoglycan interfaces. Biomaterials 27, 4212 (Aug, 2006).
- C. M. Klapperich, C. R. Bertozzi, Global gene expression of cells attached to a tissue engineering scaffold. Biomaterials 25, 5631 (Nov, 2004).
- S. Niedzwiecki et al., Comparison of three joint simulator wear debris isolation techniques: acid digestion, base digestion, and enzyme cleavage. J Biomed Mater Res 56, 245 (Aug, 2001).
- C. Klapperich, L. Pruitt, K. Komvopoulos, Chemical and biological characteristics of low-temperature plasma treated ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene for biomedical applications. J Mater Sci Mater Med 12, 549 (Jun, 2001).
- C. Klapperich, S. Niedzwiecki, M. Ries, L. Pruitt, Fluid sorption of orthopedic grade ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene in a serum environment is affected by the surface area and sterilization method. J Biomed Mater Res 53, 73 (2000).
- C. Klapperich, J. Graham, L. Pruitt, M. D. Ries, Failure of a metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty from progressive osteolysis. J Arthroplasty 14, 877 (Oct, 1999).
- J. D. Kaufman and C.M. Klapperich, “Nanomechanical Testing of Hydrated Biomaterials: Sample Preparation, Data Validation and Analysis,” in Fundamentals of Nanoindentation and Nanotribology III, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Volume 841, Boston, (2004).
- H. Kauth and C.M. Klapperich, “Examination of the Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Tissue Engineering Scaffolds,” in Mechanical Properties of Bio-Inspired and Biological Materials, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Volume 844, Boston, (2004).
- C.M. Klapperich, K. Komvopoulos, A. Bellare and L. Pruitt, “Submicron-Scale Indentation and Characterization of Orthopedic Polymers: The Effect of Crosslink Density and Morphology on the Hardness and Elastic Properties of Polyethylene,” Deformation, Yield and Fracture of Polymers Conference Proceedings, (2000).
- C. Klapperich, K. Komvopoulos, and L. Pruitt, “Plasma Surface Modification of Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene for Improved Tribological Properties,” Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Volume 550, Boston, (1999).
- C. Klapperich, D. Crane, K. Komvopoulos, and L. Pruitt, “The Effect of Physiological Loads on the Texture Evolution of UHMWPE,” Proceedings of the Fall Meeting of the Materials Research Society, Boston, (1997).
- C.M. Cotell, J.A. Conklin, R.C.Y. Auyeung, S.S. Wong, C.M. Klapperich, and M. Spector, “In Vivo Evaluation of Pulsed Laser Deposited Hydroxyapatite Coating for Prosthesis-Bone Bonding,” in Thin Films and Surfaces for Bioactivity and Biomedical Applications, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Volume 414, Boston, (1995).
- A. Fan, S. Byrnes, and C. Klapperich, “Purification of DNA/RNA in a Microfluidic Device,” in Microfluidic Diagnostics, eds. G. Jenkins and C. D. Mansfield, Humana Press: New York. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-62703-134-9. (2013).
- JZ Zhang, Q Cao, M Mahalanabis, CM Klapperich, “Integrated microfluidic sample preparation for chip based molecular diagnostics,” in Microfluidic Applications for Human Health. U DeMirci (Ed.) World Scientific Publishing Co. Hackensack, NJ, USA. (2012).
- C. M. Klapperich and M. Mahalanabis, “Nanodevices for DNA Analysis,” in Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry, eds R.A. Meyers, John Wiley: Chichester. DOI: 10.1002/9780470027318.a9207. (2011).
- A. Bhattacharyya and C. M. Klapperich, “On-Chip Cell Lysis”, in Encyclopedia of Micro- and Nano-Fluidics, Dongqing Li, editor, Springer, 2226 p. (2008).
- Jessica Kaufman, Joyce Y. Wong, and Catherine Klapperich (2006) “Controlling and Assessing Cell-Biomaterial Interactions at the Micro and Nanoscale: Applications in Tissue Engineering,” in CRC Biomedical Engineering Handbook, 3rd edition, Biomaterials Section, J.Y. Wong, section editor, (2006).
- Cao, Q., Fan, A., Klapperich, C. Microfluidic Chip Fabrication and Method to Detect Influenza. J. Vis. Exp. (73), e50325, doi:10.3791/50325 (2013).
- C. Klapperich, Microfluidic applications for disposable diagnostics. J Vis Exp, (2008).
- A. Bhattacharyya, D. Kulinski, C. Klapperich, Fabrication of the thermoplastic microfluidic channels. J Vis Exp, (2008). NIH Open Access Link