News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
  Tax Information
  2010 Tax Bulletin
  Cintax Login Information
  Cintax Helpful Information


Helpful Information in Using CINTAX

  • Documents and information you may need in order to complete your federal and state tax forms.
    • Passport
    • I-20 or DS-2019
    • Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
    • U.S. entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the U.S.
    • W-2 Form
    • 1042-S Form (only if your awarded scholarship exceeds tuition and required fees or if you are claiming a tax treaty)
    • 1099 Form
    • Copy of your 2008 federal tax return and 8843 Form (if you filed one last year)
  • When filling in your name, please make sure to enter the name exactly as it appears in your passport.
  • When completing information about the Director of the Academic Program, simply enter your academic advisor's name and the department telephone number. Please do not list the ISSO as your academic program address.
  • When completing the Name of the Academic Institution or School that Sponsored your Current Immigration Status enter:

    Boston University, ISSO
    888 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd Floor
    Boston, Massachusetts 02215
  • Generally, your Country of Tax Residence is your Country of Permanent Residence which is NOT the U.S. unless you are a citizen of the U.S. or are a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident.
  • You do not need a Social Security Number or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) number in order to complete Form 8843.
  • When using CINTAX, you will need to print out your tax form and mail it to the IRS.
  • Make sure to keep a copy of all the documents you mail.
  • If you are required to complete a state tax form, you will need to complete this on your own by using other software or completing a paper form.

Boston University
February 24, 2010

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office