News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
  Tax Information
  2010 Tax Bulletin
  Cintax Login Information
  Cintax Helpful Information

2007 Tax Bulletin
The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO)
Boston University

International students and scholars are often surprised to learn that they must prepare and submit tax forms while they are in the U.S. The deadline for filing 2006 taxes is coming soon. While the staff of the ISSO does not specialize in international tax law and can not answer specific questions regarding individual tax filing requirements, we have prepared this bulletin to offer some basic information and to suggest resources. We have also purchased a software product that you may be able to utilize to prepare your federal tax forms. Please read the information below carefully in order to comply with tax filing obligations.

The following international students and scholars must complete tax forms:

  • F-1 students and J-1 students
  • Dependent spouse and/or children in F-2 and J-2 status
  • Students in immigration classifications other than F-1 or J-1, if they have earned U.S. income or received a scholarship
  • Scholars in all non-immigrant classifications (including, but not limited to, J-1, H-1B, TN, O-1)

Which tax forms must I submit?
Please click on the appropriate answer below.

Have you been in the U.S. less than any part of five calendar years


more than any part of five calendar years?*

Less than


* Any part of a calendar year refers to as little as one day between January 1st and December 31st of that calendar year.


Boston University
February 28, 2005

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office February 26, 2009