Reporting at the ISSO
Requirements of the ISSO
It is the responsibility of the ISSO to keep complete and accurate
records on the following information for each J-1 student and provide
it to the U.S. Department of State (DOS) upon its request:
- Date and place of birth.
- Country of citizenship.
- Country of legal permanent residence.
- Address and phone number where you and any dependents physically
reside while in the U.S. (address cannot be a P.O. box). If mail
cannot be received at the physical address, then a mailing address
must also be provided.
- Academic status (e.g. full-time or part-time, suspended, withdrawn,
- Date of commencement of studies.
- Nature of program and objective.
- Whether the student has been authorized for Academic Training,
and the beginning and end dates of the training.
- Date of withdrawal from program by the student, or date of completion
of program if it is thirty (30) or more days before the ending
date on student's Form DS-2019.
- Date of termination from program by the University.
- The financial documents and other support documents used to
issue the student's Form DS-2019.
- The number of credits completed each semester.
- A copy of all DS-2019 forms issued to the student, as well as
copies of passport and I-94 Departure Record.
Requirements of J-1 Students
Report to the ISSO with your DS-2019, passport and I-94
- Upon initial arrival to the Boston University campus from abroad
to begin a new program of study.
- Upon initial arrival to the Boston University campus to transfer
from another U.S. school.
- If you plan to register part-time or withdraw from courses to
part-time study, even if for medical reasons.
- Before you interrupt a program of study at the University, whether
due to a temporary leave of absence, suspension or permanent withdrawal.
- Upon returning to Boston University after a leave of absence
- If there are errors in your legal name, date of birth, country
of citizenship, country of birth, or country of legal permanent
residence as such information appears on your form DS-2019 or
in your University record.
- At any such time there is a change to your legal name (within
10 days), country of citizenship, country of legal permanent residence,
program of study, or financial sponsorship as such information
appears in your passport or on your form DS-2019.
- (Within 10 days) If there is a change to your residential address
during your stay in the U.S. in J-1 status while on a DS-2019
issued by Boston University, either during your program of study
or during Academic Training after the completion of your program
of study. If mail cannot be received at the new residential address,
then a current mailing address must also be provided.
Failure to report such changes promptly to the ISSO could result
in a violation of your J-1 status, and may even prevent you from
remaining in the United States to complete your studies.