News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Students
    F-1 Students
    J-1 Students
    Address Change
  Current Students

Reporting Change of U.S. Address

All nonimmigrants (except those in A or G status), 14 years of age or older, who will remain in the U.S. for 30 days or longer, are required by law to notify the Immigration and Naturalization Service (USCIS) within 10 days of a change of address in the U.S.  If you are the parent or legal guardian of a nonimmigrant child under the age of 14, you are responsible for notifying USCIS of the child's change of address.  Failure to comply with this requirement is punishable by fine or imprisonment and/or deportation.

Notifying the USCIS
You must complete Form AR-11 to notify the USCIS if your address has changed since the last time you were issued a Form I-94 Departure Record (the little white card in your passport).  If you are subject to Special Registration, you must file Form AR-11SR, not the AR-11.  Copies of both forms are also available for pickup at the ISSO if you cannot download and print them from the links provided.

Filing a forwarding address with the U.S. Postal Service will not satisfy the reporting requirement.  Mail from the U.S. government will not be forwarded by the Post Office and will be returned to the issuing government agency as undeliverable.

The ISSO recommends that you make a copy of your completed AR-11 or AR-11SR for your records before you mail it.  Use Certified Mail and request a Return Receipt from the U.S. Postal Service.  When you receive the Return Receipt, attach it to your copy of the form.  This will provide evidence that you sent notification of your change of address in case there is a discrepancy with USCIS records.

Notifying the ISSO

Students in F-1 and J-1 Status
You are additionally required by the USCIS to also inform the ISSO within 10 days of any change in your U.S. address.  If it is impossible for you to receive mail at your physical residence, you should report your mailing address to the USCIS, but you must provide your physical address to the ISSO to keep on record.

After August 1, 2003
After August 1, 2003, F-1 and J-1 students can satisfy all of the above requirements by notifying the University through the Office of the Registrar or the Student Link.  However, if you are subject to Special Registration, you must still also report your change of address as instructed by the USCIS under Special Registration requirements.

J-1 Students with a DS-2019 NOT issued by Boston University
J-1 students whose DS-2019 was issued by an institution other than Boston University, must report their address information and changes to the institution that issued their document in order to comply with USCIS regulations.

If You Have an Application Currently Pending with an USCIS Office
If you have previously filed an application and it is pending with an USCIS Service Center or District Office (e.g. for work authorization or petition for Permanent Residence) filing the AR-11 or AR-11SR WILL NOT update your address with the respective USCIS office.  You must inform the appropriate Service Center or District Office separately in order to update your address and ensure that you will receive notifications regarding your application or petition.  Contact the ISSO for instructions on the best way to inform these offices of your change of address.

Boston University
January 26, 2010

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office