Reinstatement for Failure to Maintain J-1 Status
A J-1 student who has
failed in any way to maintain J-1 status is considered "out
of status." If you think you are out of status, please contact
your ISSO advisor immediately. Your situation will be thoroughly
evaluated to determine whether a violation has occurred that requires
an application for reinstatement with the U.S. Department of State.
A J-1 student who is determined by the ISSO to be out of status
is not eligible for a travel signature, change of status or any
NOTE: If an Exchange
Visitor Program sponsor other than Boston University issued your
DS-2019 (as indicated in section 2 of your document), you will be
advised to contact the Responsible Officer of your program.
Reinstatement is not allowed when
a J-1 Exchange Visitor student has:
- Knowingly or willfully failed to obtain or maintain the required
health insurance at all times while in the United States;
- Engaged in unauthorized employment that is not normally approvable
for J-1 students;
- Been suspended or terminated from the most recent exchange
- Failed to maintain valid program status for more than 270 calendar
- Received a favorable recommendation from the Department of
State on an application for a waiver of the 2-year home country
physical presence requirement.
If you cannot be reinstated,
you will not be permitted to continue in the Exchange Visitor Program
at Boston University.