News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Students
Current Students
  General Information
  F-1 Students
  J-1 Students
    Maintain Status
    Social Security Card
    Visa Renewal
  Address Change

On-Campus Employment

J-1 students may be employed at most on-campus jobs after requesting student employment permission from the ISSO.  The employment must occur on the premises of the University and may not exceed 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.  However, full-time (more than 20 hours per week) on-campus employment is allowed during the summer vacation break and when classes are not in session during winter intersession and spring recess.

Important Note
J-1 students who withdraw from classes or who otherwise fail to maintain status, must discontinue on-campus employment immediately.

If You Have a DS-2019 Not Issued by Boston University
If a J-1 program sponsor other than Boston University has issued your DS-2019 (as noted in section 2 of your document), you must provide the ISSO with a letter from your program sponsor that permits you to work on-campus at Boston University.  Until you provide such a letter, or your document already specifies on-campus employment is required for your studies (e.g. Graduate Teaching Fellows and Research Assistants), you will not be permitted to accept on-campus employment.

Employment After Completion of Academic Program
J-1 students who have completed their academic program are no longer eligible to work on campus unless they have been issued a new DS-2019 to begin a new program and are registered for the next semester of study at Boston University.  Otherwise, they may continue working only if authorized by the ISSO (or their sponsoring agency listed in section 2 of the DS-2019) for Academic Training employment that is related to their field of study.

Social Security Number
You will need a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) in order to receive a paycheck.  Click here to read about obtaining an SSN.

Questions About Taxes and Your Boston University Paycheck
Please contact Student Payroll if you have questions about taxes or any problems with your Boston University paycheck.

Boston University
January 26, 2010

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office