News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Students
Current Students
  General Information
    Student Services
  F-1 Students
  J-1 Students
  Address Change

Student Services

For detailed information, please visit the website for Students Activities Office at

Office of the University Registrar
The Office of the University Registrar maintains student records, issues transcripts, verifies attendance, issues diplomas and non-dining I.D. cards, produces the class schedule, supervises registration and Veterans Affairs, and records grades.

Every student is required to register for the classes they are supposed to take before the scheduled deadline.

To register, students should select their classes from the Class Schedule and register according to instructions provided by their School or College. Most continuing students are eligible to use TelReg and WebReg to register for their semester classes. Students should check with the advising office in their School for more information on the School's requirements. Incoming freshmen or first time students are ineligible to use TelReg and WebReg and must follow the walk in or mail in registration procedure using a Registration Form, as instructed by their School. Students should contact their School or College for further information.

BU Identification Card (Terrier Card)/ Terrier Card Office
All Boston University students are assigned a nine-character, computer-generated I.D. number. This University I.D. number or 'U' number will be used for all University records including registration, class adjustments, and access to the Telephone Information System.

Terrier Cards for new students are issued at the start of the first semester. Photo identification must be presented to receive a new card. Valid identification includes a driver's license, state identification card or passport. The Terrier Card is valid for on-campus identification only.

Students who reside in on-campus housing will receive their Terrier Cards when checking into their University residences.

New, full-time Charles River campus students who reside off-campus may obtain their Terrier Card, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. from

Office of the University Registrar
881 Commonwealth Avenue, Second Floor


Terrier Card Office
775 Commonwealth Avenue, Lower Level

New part-time students will receive their Terrier Cards in the mail during the beginning of the semester.

Student attending the Medical Campus should obtain their Terrier Card from

Medical Campus I.D. Room
Collamore Building,
715 Albany Street, Room 212

Monday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Student Link
The Student Link provides direct access to public and personal academic, financial and institutional data maintained in the University's central computer system.

To access information on The Link, you need a BU login name and a Kerberos password. These are the same pieces of information used to protect your account on ACS (Academic Computing System), your Boston University e-mail, your entry in Boston University's electronic directory, and a growing number of computing services.

You create a BU login name and Kerberos password when you apply online for an ACS account. You will need your BU ID number, so have your Terrier Card on hand.

If you have questions or problems creating your BU login name or choosing a Kerberos password, please see an IT Help Desk consultant at the Front Office of Information Technology at 111 Cummington Street.

BU has a range of different libraries specific to subjects. They are:
  • Mugar Memorial Library
    • African Studies Library
    • Astronomy Library
    • Beebe Communications Library
    • Educational Resources Library
    • Frederick S. Pardee Management Library
    • Music Library
    • Science & Engineering Library
    • Special Collections
  • Alumni Medical Library
  • Pappas Law Library
  • School of Theology Library

BU Libraries have the facility of a Web Catalog. It includes search, reserve services, borrowing records, book renewal, library purchase requests, and other general information. You can visit them at

Barnes & Noble at Boston University has the textbooks for the classes. The store has a selection of both new and used textbooks. Students can reserve textbooks online for in-store pickup, and some widely used college textbooks are also available for download.

Student Employment
The Student Employment Office works with currently enrolled degree students to assist them in their on-campus employment endeavors, through the Job Board and Quickie Job Services. Student Employment also assists students with the Payroll process. For more details, visit their web site at


Boston University
February 28, 2005

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office