News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Students
Current Students
  General Information
    Student Services
  F-1 Students
  J-1 Students
  Address Change


If you plan to bring your children to the United States with you while studying or working at Boston University, you will most likely need to make arrangements for childcare and/or schooling for them. Cost and quality of childcare and schooling varies widely between institutions, so it is important to carefully consider all options and make the best choice for you and your child.


Boston University Resources
The Boston University Office of Family Resources offers assistance to BU students, faculty and staff. Their services include part-time and full-time early childhood learning centers, a babysitting referral service, school vacation programs, and community referrals for childcare resources. Visit their website at for complete listings and details of their services.

Other Resources is a website that offers listings of childcare providers in Massachusetts, news about parenting, community bulletin boards for parents, child health information and activities for children.

The Boston Parents' Paper provides many ideas for classes, entertainment, schools, special events, where to buy children's clothes or furniture, etc. Look in any public library for a free issue. Or, to subscribe for one year, send a check for $15 to: Boston Parents' Paper, 670 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130. Telephone: 617-522-1515.

WarmLines Parent Resources is an organization that connects parents to each other. For $90 you can become a member and may participate in playgroups. A computerized system will match you with other mothers, help you find childcare or babysitters, or guide you to over 100 pre-schools. Call 617-244-4636 for more information. is the website for the Childcare Resource Center

Massachusetts state law mandates that all children aged six years or older must be enrolled in school.

Massachusetts Department of Education site provides information on all of the schools and school districts in Massachusetts, as well as news and regulations about education.

The Boston Area Yellow Pages lists all schools in the area under the subject heading "schools." You can contact schools directly to find out about enrollment and entrance requirements.

Activities for Children
In the United States, much emphasis is placed on children being active. It is not unusual for children to be enrolled in many different kinds of lessons (such as music, art, dance, swimming, gymnastics, etc.) and/or sports (such as baseball, soccer, hockey, etc.). Getting your child involved in these types of activities can allow them to fit in better with American children as well as make friends.
  • The YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) and YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association) offer many sporting activities for both adults and children. Look in the business section of the phone book for the closest branch to you, or call the Boston Central Office at 617-536-7800.
  • There are many gymnastics and dance centers in the area; most will offer classes for babies through adolescents. Look in the Yellow Pages under Gymnastics Instruction or Dance Instruction.
  • Ask other parents or teachers in your child's school for recommendations of lessons or teams that your child would be interested in.


Boston University
February 28, 2005

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office