News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Students
Current Students
  General Information
  F-1 Students
    Maintaining Status
    Rights and Responsibilities
    Social Security Card
    Visa Renewal
  J-1 Students
  Address Change

Replacing Your I-20, Passport, I-94 or F-1 Visa

Contact the ISSO immediately if anything should happen to your documents.

I-20, Passport and I-94
If these documents should become damaged, lost, or stolen, you should arrange to replace them as soon as possible. F-1 Visa
You only need your F-1 visa for entering the U.S.  If your F-1 visa becomes damaged or is lost or stolen with your passport while you are in the country, it can only be replaced the next time you travel abroad.  While you are abroad, you must apply for a new F-1 visa before you will be allowed to reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.  Please see our section on "Renewing Your F-1 Visa" for instructions.  Once your F-1 visa is replaced, come to the ISSO after you return to the U.S. to make a copy to update your file.


Boston University
February 28, 2005

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office